app that can backup/copy ipod/iphone content to & from computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sossity, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I would like to be able to backup my ipod, iphone, & ipad contents to a computer,

And vice verse; be able to copy photos & other content to my iphone, ipod, & ipad.

Something more flexible than itunes, & possibly cross platform, but a mac app is ok too.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There is nothing better than iTunes for this purpose.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Help others to help you. What exactly do you think is limiting you in iTunes?

4. Sossity, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh Geez, I am not the only person in the world or on this forum that finds itunes limiting or has it flaws, it is not flawless. Perhaps it is perfect for those replying in this thread so far, & does everything they want but that does not mean it should or will be like this for everybody else in the world. I see lots of questions & complaints about it on the web. I dont see anything wrong with my question.

Anyway, here are my questions; itunes does not allow me to back up the contents of my ipod to a computer in case my computer crashes & I want to reload my itunes library into itunes on a new computer.

I also would like to copy photos onto my iphone in a certain order & itunes will not do this.

I would like to be able to drag & drop files to my apple devices, but never mind, I will just use Google & find this myself, I though others on here might know, but I guess everyone on here in this forum only uses & likes itunes only, so I guess I cant ask about this one.

well I guess I will not get any help on this one.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

There is nothing wrong with your question. It does help to know where you think there are holes.

I do not understand your backup question. You can certainly restore your iTunes backup data on a new computer or if your computer crashes. This is what Mac backup programs do. Pick any one and you will be able to do exactly what you want. I use a combination of Time Machine, Crashplan+, and Carbon Copy Cloner. Hence... I have three independent backups of my iTunes data always on deck and ready to restore.

Regarding ordering your pictures. I have found the very best way is to create albums in iPhoto or Aperture (I use Aperture)... and then share them through the iTunes interface. This way, as I dynamically update my albums... they auto update on my iPhone and iPad.

The issue with drag and dropping files to iOS devices is that iOS has no end user visible file system. Instead, you have to use some app on the iOS that provides this service. I use both Goodreader and Dropbox. I find Dropbox to be the most useful in most circumstances.

/Jim