App that can read Apple Watch heart rate data

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kave, May 23, 2015.

1. kave macrumors regular

Anyone found an App that can read the recorded heart rate data from the Apple Watch in Health.app? I would say the training and activity monitor gives very much out, and the health app only gives the option to view it line by line.

2. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

3. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Easily the most surprising aspect of Healthkit. Oh you want to SEE or USE your data. We don't do that. We just collect it. :rolleyes:

Been out for ages too.

I use my Watch for overnight heart rate monitoring, and because of Healthkit bugs I can't actually access the table that shows heart rate entries - it just hangs.

So the only way of seeing past data is the crappy Health app graphs. For example there is no way to see heart rate data graph of 10pm to midnight data the next day.

So I too am very interested in this...

4. dandrewk macrumors 6502

The data is there for export by any third party app that is granted permission, such as one that was posted above. There are others, such as this:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/qs-access/id920297614?mt=8

This app doesn't graph, but takes health data and exports to .csv format, where you can graph to your heart's (;)) content.

Apple doesn't always develop core apps for every possible application, nor should they. That's what the developer community is for.

5. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

I agree with that in principle...

BUT in practice if 8 months have passed and there is still no way to give your doctor your data then Healthkit seems like a marketing exercise more than a useful product. It seems like such a basic thing - going to all this trouble to record all this data, but no way to give it to your doctor.

I am not asking for an app - just an export function. In programming terms, this would be under one percent of the effort devoted to healthkit. It is like a marathoner stopping a few yards short of the finish line and thinking NAILED IT.

I normally roll my eyes when folks bag Apple as being all about marketing shiny toys, but this one is impossible to defend.

ps - I found that app a few weeks back and was excited, but it only does hourly or daily, so useless for heart rate.

6. ParishYoung, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Third party support of Health & Health Kit has been pretty lame so far. All developers seem to be using barely any of the features.

For example MyFitnessPal will happily take your steps from the M7, but not from Health where the data will arguably be more reliable due to fitness trackers.

Now the Apple Watch is out and will probably become the most popular fitness tracker in a short space of time, more data will be in Health and there more developers will start to get data from there. And if the big corporate companies won't do it, some Bedroom Programmer will have a hit (maybe) app.

Time is on our side, due to a watch?!?

I read another thread say that their Nike app get Heart Rate data from somewhere through the Apple Watch. Potentially that's from Health too.

7. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

That is what I am thinking... I think it will be the Heart rate/Watch that will kick this thing into gear.

8. ParishYoung, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015

ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I should have said Activity Tracker, not Fitness Tracker.

I see on the forum that people want developers to have access to the Heart Rate monitor on the watch, but that's exactly what the Health app enables.

9. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Oh, but it does have an export function. Look in the upper right corner of the health data screen. You can email the data. However, you'll need to be somewhat familiar with database programming.

I remember reading some proprietary specialty apps have used this data, but you may have to be part of the applicable health organization to get the app.
    It would be nice if it simply exported to .csv or something similar. But not yet.

A part of the reasoning we don't have something more complete may be that, up until now, only third party devices (along with the phone itself) could provide data to the health kit. Apple may have reasoned (correctly) that any such device would provide all the exporting/charting needed. With the advent of the Watch, I suspect we'll be seeing a more robust Health or Activity app.

This article explains another reason, and coming from an emergency medical background, I fully agree with it. It's all about privacy:

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...apple-health-data-as-a-document-to-share.html

The article also gives some tips about extracting the data.

BTW, it only took my iPhone 5s about one minute to export the data.

10. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

THANK you for such an informative post and link.

That answers a bunch of questions as to why this is the way it is right now. Still frustrating to have bought an Apple Watch and be waiting for iOS9 or whatever to be able to use the data easily, but now I can remove my cranky pants and patiently wait.;)

I would never have found that export button, as it only appears if you select ALL data, not just heart rate.

11. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

Well, Apple messed up the heart rate recording in 1.0.1, so you won't get good data anyway. So maybe something will come around by the time 1.0.2 is released to fix the bug.

12. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

The app looks good. Hope Apple is looking. It could be that Apple will not update the Health app and leave it up to 2nd party apps. :(

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Looks interesting so I downloaded and signed in. However it will not let me import a workout without upgrading. Willing to buy but I want to see at least 1 workout first just to be sure.

[​IMG]