App that can stream PC content to iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wongster41, Sep 28, 2012.

1. wongster41 macrumors regular

I was wondering if there's a good app that can stream PC content (mp3/mp4/mkv/wmv...etc) to iPhone using IOS 6.0? Thanks in advance.

2. steviek macrumors member

I use an app called splashtop, gives you access to your PC on the move, WiFi or 3g

3. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply, im actually not looking for a remote desktop app, i have logmein for that. I'm actually looking for an APP that can stream pc content directly to the iphone (movies/audio files... etc)

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

ZumoCast did exactly what you want but it was pulled from the App Store. I'm not really sure of any alternatives, sorry :eek:

5. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

bummer, there's got to be another app that can stream stuff from the pc to iphone via wifi/4g/LTE.......

I was looking at orb but that app hasn't been updated in over a year.

6. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Doesn't LogMeIn do this? When I used it I thought it gave me a list of folders/files to access without actually having to remote control the computer itself. Could be wrong though.

You could try dropbox if you only need access to a few files here and there, not your entire computer hard drive because obviously you'd need to buy more storage from them.

7. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I use plexapp.com

Turns your PC into just what you're looking for. I can watch movies ripped on my pc at home and have access to my entire itunes library remotely over wifi or cell.

Very pleased with it.

8. DodgeV83, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012

DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

The one I think is best:

Air Video

A newer one I haven't tried yet, but downloaded:

Air Playit

Something I never tried, but always thought looked good (also the only one of the bunch that has been updated for the iPhone 5 screen):

http://plexapp.com
    Plex

Have all of your files on a shared drive, and don't need dynamic reencoding, and want to store the files locally so you can access them without the PC if you wish:

GoodPlayer

Want the best app for audio streaming of your music (Requires purchasing a secondary software app for the PC)?

iSub Music Streamer

Want access to of all your music from the PC, without having to install a server application on the PC?

iTunes Match

Good luck!

9. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Exactly what "Content" do you want to stream?

10. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

:confused:

11. wongster41 thread starter macrumors regular

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for, I'm streaming my mkv files from my PC to my iPhone 5 and it looks GREAT. Thank you very much man, definitely worth the $4.99!

12. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

AirVideo is the de facto standard for this kind of app. :cool: