Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

App that compresses iSight video on the fly

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I'm looking for an app that can capture video from my iSight camera and compress it as it is being captured so that not too much space is taken up. I know Photo Booth and Quicktime Pro can do it but their file size is quite big, approximately 3 seconds per mb according to my calculation.

Secondly side question, how long can Photo Booth capture for? Is there like a time or size limit? I would like to capture for around 4 hours straight.

Nov 28, 2010
located
What resolution do you record with?
1 MB for 3 seconds is quite compressed, be it either SD or HD.

You can however use HandBrake to further compress the resulting file, as 4 hours of PB / QT recording would be 4.67 GB according to your numbers.

Comment

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
On second thought I think 4.67 GB as you calculated is completely reasonable. What I am concerned about is whether PhotoBooth will be able to record for that long or not. Any idea? Thanks for the reply by the way.

Comment
Nov 28, 2010
located
On second thought I think 4.67 GB as you calculated is completely reasonable. What I am concerned about is whether PhotoBooth will be able to record for that long or not. Any idea? Thanks for the reply by the way.

I do not have an iSight to test with, but why not test yourself?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.