App that verbally says greeting, mail messages, etc.?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrispvoll, Mar 8, 2011.

1. chrispvoll macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an app (OSX or iOS) that will verbally walk me through things that I check every morning, such as Gmail, Facebook, Twitter, the weather, etc.
    I've found the Safari extension Verbal Juicer, but it doesn't really do everything I want it to all that well. I don't need to be actually taken to those webpages, I just want to know how many messages, notifications or mentions I have and what the weather will be like today.

Does anybody know if anything like this exists? Google didn't return much at all, but my searching skills aren't stellar. Thanks.

2. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

My searches have also hit a brick wall. However, i did manage to fudge it, a little. I have short mp3's for my Droid X. I noticed that the Prefs screens for some apps allow you to add a custom sound. That sent me checking in other apps, where i found the motherload of customizations -- per app-- within Growl. I grabbed freebie XLD
    ..... http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder,
    which easily converts mp3's to wav.

So, while I still don't get the sort of details you've referenced, at least I do hear "Incoming email", "Google Voice text message arriving", etc, or just music snippets/sounds I truly enjoy hearing. Great, cuz the sound alone is now enough to tell me what's up, so I can continue working without changing my visual focus to actually look at the Growl popup.