App thinning not thinning yet?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by Schtibbie, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

I was wondering whether the App store was already serving up currently-existing versions of apps in "thinned" form (where those apps had already been properly compiled in the recent past)... I think it's not quite working yet maybe.

Netflix was shown as an example (somewhere I saw a presentation slide) where it should go from 41 to 29 megs or so. Sure enough, the app store shows it, on my iphone 6, as being 29 megs. But if I erase the app from my phone and re-download it with the "cloud" icon in appstore, it just redownloads the 41 meg version I previously had installed. NOT the 29 meg version advertised in the app store as being the current version.

Anyone have any other experiences?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

What's in the App Store is essentially the compressed installation, and when the app is actually uncompressed and installed it's larger.

3. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, then my question stands somewhat: The app is just as big NOW as it was before ios 9 even though there was an advertised (by apple) size reduction for netflix. Perhaps they compiled a version of the app JUST as a proof of concept in thinning and that version isn't actually what's in the app store TODAY. ? Perhaps the first time we'll see any app thinning AT ALL will be after new releases of those apps. But i thought we'd be able to see it by deleting all our apps and reinstalling them on ios9.

4. Jonx macrumors 6502

Jonx

I've updated 10 apps today and the available storage gone from 300MB to 600MB. Maybe Netflix app doesn't actually have it yet?

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, some of my apps have updated for it too, but a lot haven't yet.