App to adjust DVD playback region?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

Is there an app or software that will allow a DVD to be copied and burned for use in another region of the world? I sent a copy of my wedding DVD to relatives in England, unfortunately it played back in B&W. I believe this may be due to the DVD being burned for the US region vs. the UK. Is there any software that can fix this?

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

If the disc is coded with a region then it will not play in a drive that is coded with a different region. There is special software that will bypass the region checking but I doubt that it was used. I am certain that your disc is not coded with a region because if it was it would not have played and definitely would not have played in B&W. I suspect something completely different is going on.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I think you will find out that the difference is the color system in use for TVs.
    So, there's NTSC - standard in US and much of the Americas; and PAL, which is the standard in UK and a lot of the rest of the world) Movies created under one system might play on the other system, but you often lose the color information (leaving - black & white :D )
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100216183945AAw8Vlg

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It sounds like they're either using a very old TV, or it's configured to force PAL (your DVD will be NTSC).

5. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

This is a great help guys! Is there anyway to convert my NTSC disc to PAL so that they can view it in color?

6. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Use Handbrake to extract the video from the dvd, then produce another dvd but choose PAL instead of NTSC in your dvd burning program.
    http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

7. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you very much Dave Braine. Do you know which file needs to be selected from the DVD while in Handbrake? In the Video folder (the Audio folder is empty as seen from Handbrake) Handbrake sees these files on the DVD:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.VOB
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.VOB
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_0.IFO
    VTS_02_1.VOB

8. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You don't decide between PAL and NTSC in a video conversion step.
    You do that when you get ready to burn your extracted video, with your usual DVD burning software, such as Roxio Toast.
    If you don't want to purchase commercial software like Roxio Toast, there are free alternate burning apps. I checked Burn (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/21992/burn), and the settings allow you to burn a DVD with either PAL or NTSC… Easy-peasy!

9. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you DeltaMac, before burning with Burn, I assume the DVD must be copied to my Mac. How do I copy? When I select copy in the Burn software, and I drag and drop the Audio and Video folder, I get a message stating Burn "can't determine disc format"

10. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You can just drag the disc to the copy window in Burn.
    Click the scan button.
    Go to Preferences, then Video/General, and make sure that Region is PAL.
    Close Preferences, then click the Burn button.

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Handbrake doesn't "see" any of the above. It will scan the dvd and give the option of converting the various Chapters on the dvd. The dvd may have only one chapter.

Insert the dvd into your Mac. When it shows on the Desktop, run Handbrake. You should see the Handbrake window. Click on the Source button.
    [​IMG]

and choose your dvd.
    [​IMG]

Choose mp4 in the Output Settings, and h264 under Video Codec. Then click the Start button. Use the resultant video file to produce a video dvd, using Burn or Toast.

12. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

For some reason, the CD doesn't appear under devices while using handbrake. I noticed the CD doesn't appear in finder either even though it appears on the desktop.

Anyway, it seems I was able to make a copy of the CD using Burn. Although preferences were set to PAL, is there anyway to confirm the disc was burned this way?

13. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Open your DVD in VLC:
    VLC -> Tools menu -> Media Information
    Click on the Codec Details, then look in Stream 1
    Resolution and Frame Rate will give you that info.

25 fps, 50 fps = PAL
    23.976 fps, 29.97 fps, 59.94 fps = NTSC

14. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

So, are you using a CD, or a DVD?