App to batch convert audio files to .Aac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yoyo5280, Apr 8, 2009.

1. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Hey,

My phone only plays .aac files, and I would like to convert all my DRM free iTunes songs to .aac so I can...well play them on my phone...

Any ideas on an app that does this?

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I honestly don't know any converters that convert to raw AAC, but if your phone also accepts 3gp then you could convert to that using QTAmateur.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You do know that DRM free iTunes songs = AAC?

Perhaps your phone cannot handle higher bit rate files?

Search macupdate for "switch" or convert audio

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If not all of your songs are already in AAC, iTunes can be used to transcode music as well.

5. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Do you need .aac to be the filename extension? The extension on itunes AAC files is .m4a. I think a program like Max should be able to do what you need.

6. yoyo5280 thread starter macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Sorry.
    .M4a is fine.

I know that the DRM free songs I have from iTunes store are aac, but quite a lot are .mp3 (not from iTunes store. I just changed the import settings)

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Transcoding results in degraded sound quality, but if you're not much of a connoisseur (or connoisseuse), you probably won't notice.

To do so, just change your import settings in iTunes to AAC, then select the songs you want to convert and go to Advanced -> Create AAC Version. Once it's done, you can just drag and drop the songs from iTunes into a folder to copy them there. You'll probably want to delete the copies you created, so create a smart playlist with only the songs created today, select them, and press option+delete, confirming that you want to move the files to the trash.

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I just went into iTunes to see where the audio conversion options were, and I couldn't find them for the life of me, so they must've moved them somewhere.( on a display machine with no music).

Anyway, whatever your format is set to in iTunes, you can right click on a song to select an option to convert it. If you convert many at a time, the original files will still be highlighted/selected in the library, so once it finishes converting you can hit delete to get rid of the original, "duplicates" if you want.

After that, Max is a great opensource audio conversion tool that I have always used and loved, and hopefully will be able to help you.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, Max is also a good choice. I just figure there's no point in downloading a new app for something you can do perfectly well with the software you have.

They have indeed moved the import settings page, if that's what you were looking for. It's under iTunes -> Preferences -> General -> Import Settings.