App to block all internet apart from safari

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iostraveller, May 5, 2014.

1. iostraveller, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014

iostraveller macrumors newbie

I will be travelling and taking my iPhone into a very remote place where internet is very expensive and slow, even from a WiFi. I will connect my iPhone to a WiFi hotspot which is extremely expensive and I have very limited usage available. Is there an App or some way to block every single app from accessing the WiFi hotspot apart from safari? I have so many apps and it would be tedious to go through every app and turn off internet on it.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Turn on Airplane mode. Then, turn wifi back on. That way, any app/service on your phone that uses internet can connect to wifi, but no data connections will be made.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

You can disable mobile data on a per-app or even system basis, but I don't believe you have similar controls for disabling WiFi or essentially any data access in a specific (per-app type of) fashion like that.

4. iostraveller thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah thats a shame :(. Really need something like that.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

You should be able to minimize some of the things by turning off Background Refresh, changing Mail and related settings to disable push and perhaps set things to manual there, perhaps disabling some other services you might not need, like Location Services, and basically not having any apps other than the ones you are using in the recent apps/multitasking list. You'll still get notifications likely, but those aren't much generally speaking, as long as you don't actually load a particular app that you might not want/need.

6. iostraveller thread starter macrumors newbie

Just found the Background Refresh settings and that seems like exactly what I'm looking for!!! Thanks!! :)

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, that's definitely one of the bigger things. Also automatic updates of apps and other items--might be worth checking so that's not enabled in a situation like what you are describing to avoid downloading things you might not want to at that time.