App to browse file system on computer, from iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Sean Dempsey, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Is there an app that can connect to a os x computer and browse/copy files?

I remember briefcase and datacase, but those are very out of date. There has to be a way to connect the iPhone over a network to a desktop for file access. And ideas on this? I want to access things like PDFs and videos from my computer, even over a dyndns. I know I did it about 2 years ago and could watch QuickTime movies on the iPhone, and browse any other type of file too.

2. huskerchad macrumors regular

Dropbox is a bit of a heavyweight solution to this, but it does what you want.

3. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Is dropbox in app form?

I just want something that lets me browse the volumes on my Mac Pro, from my iphone. I can't believe no one else has needed to do this yet.

4. bripab007 macrumors 6502

EZShare does this and so, SO much more. Once of the most versatile apps you'll ever find.

5. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

The reviews on that app are terrible, saying it doesn't work well on an iphone 4 or an ipad.

Looked promising, but for 15 bucks, I'll wait for something with less terrible reviews.

6. tarrant macrumors newbie

Air Sharing

Air Sharing does this. I don’t recall if that feature is in the free version, but try that first. It also lets you copy files back and forth between the Mac and your iPhone.

7. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

PhoneView. iPhone Explorer, Disk Aid, Phone Disk and so on

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

None of those will do what he wants.

9. firegoldlynx macrumors newbie

firegoldlynx

I find goodreader to be great for pdf management. Does video to, and many other types of files. It will connect to just about any server or cloud service like dropbox