App to clean junk files,cache,etc.?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RetroKiddd, Jun 9, 2010.

1. RetroKiddd macrumors newbie

I have CleanMyMac & MacJanitor,but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

What are some apps that clean the cache(s),junk files,etc.?

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked in my apps & I have that,but never used it. There's mixed reviews on it; ppl saying that it messed their computer up,etc. I'm unsure if I should use it (& I don't have Time Machine running).
    Is it possible that Onyx can mess up my Mac?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, I would say MonoLingual (one of my suggestions) could seriously mess up your Mac. You need to worry about arbitrarily deleting languages (Czech is used for some software) and platforms (PPC, etc.). I don’t think Onyx does this, so it’s pretty harmless if memory serves.

5. celticpride678

Onyx is very safe software. However, Monolingual can seriously screw up Mac OS X since you are removing languages that may be required by some applications.

6. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been using MonoLingual for quite some time & it hasn't seemed to have harmed my Mac in any way (none of which I can tell).

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Read the next sentence. It CAN mess it up if you mess with the languages too much or delete platforms (architectures). I use it and have had no problems, but I’m careful. That’s all I was saying.

8. glitch44 macrumors 65816

I like YASU. It's pretty much a one click solution for batching the cleanup procedures.

9. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

I use that app & I remove all the languages I don't speak,how would those languages be needed by apps?

10. dirt farmer macrumors 6502

Monolingual has a blacklist of apps that are not touched. This blacklist is updated frequently.

If you're just removing languages, it's quite safe. But if you're removing architectures, you better be sure you know what you're doing.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

i told you above. I know Czech is used by some app (sorry I forget which), but you’re right most can be deleted. I keep English, French, Spanish and German (and also Czech). It doesn’t take up much space to just have those. However, you can delete all you want as long as your software works afterwards (except Engish, which could be a disaster). Never delete English.

12. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

13. RetroKiddd thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh,okay. I understand.