App to Clean Up/Clear Up 2007 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dookieman, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Dookieman macrumors 6502

Hi everyone, is there a good program out there that will clean up my mac and defrag the HD? I have a 2007 MacBook Pro and feel like it should have a good overhaul to see if I really need to upgrade since the new MBP update just happened. I'm not sure if this type of program even exists but have seen ads for Mac Keeper, any opinions on that?

Thanks!

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

I'm working with a client now that ran Mac Keeper and it really did a number on their files. Most reports I've seen for 'cleaners' had horror stories.

First use Activity Monitor to check for how much free disk space you have on your drive. Next check to see if adding RAM is possible. Right now RAM is very cheap and this can make a huge difference. See this link Problems from Insufficient RAM and Free Hard Disk Space

Here is one example of gaining back space:

Emptying iPhoto's stubborn trash

iPhoto has a trash separate from the Finder’s trash. When you delete images in iPhoto, they go into this separate trash and they’re not deleted from your Mac until you expressly tell iPhoto to empty the trash. You do this by Control (right) clicking on iPhoto’s Trash icon and choosing Empty Trash from the contextual menu.