App to convert .mkv into .avi!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by guklein, May 11, 2011.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

What is the best app to convert .mkv into .avi?

I haveMKVTools but I don't like it. Many movies after converting show problem in audio.

Thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to convert .mkv files to an inferior container like .avi?

Anyway, the latest BETA of MPEG Streamclip can do that for you.

3. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

With an .avi file I can add a subtitle using submerge and convert into a AppleTV file.

4. simsaladimbamba

Handbrake has the option to add external subtitles to your .mkv and then transcode it properly. Have you tried that using the Apple TV preset?

5. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, I've already tried Handbrake. But it is not possible to setup subtitles (size, font,...) in Handbrake. Then the subtitle in the file doesn't fit well in the screen.
    :(

6. simsaladimbamba

Ah, okay. I never encoded for the Apple TV, thus I always used .avi in earlier versions of Handbrake and used VLC and external subtitles.
    With .mkv as output option in Handbrake, I can add external subtitles to the transcoding process and can switch between subtitles in VLC Player or Movist.

But for your purposes, it seems you need to transcode via MPEG Streamclip. And then again with whatever application you choose.

7. docwisdom macrumors newbie

docwisdom

I think what you're really looking for is MKVtools. It will take your MKV files and demux them, convert the audio to AAC and remux all without re-encoding your video! It literally takes about 10 minutes for a full length movie on my macpro.
    It will also handle subtitles, but I havent messed with that feature in length.

http://www.emmgunn.com/mokgvm2dvd/mokgvmhome.html

8. simsaladimbamba

guklein doesn't like MKVTools, as it results in audio problems. Maybe you can help with that?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Seems like you are stealing the content anyway, so you might as well download the Apple TV compatible version.

10. jason221 macrumors 6502

Not necessarily. He could have ripped a BluRay or DVD that he owns onto the computer in MKV format.