Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
I just got a new intel mini and am looking for an app to resample songs. I rip/ripped all my cds at 192k on my pc, but for space purposes on my old 10gb ipod and my sons nano, I resample down to 128k. In windows I used musicmatch to do this and was very happy with it.

Now I'm in the process of moving all my music off the pc to the mini but need to find something that can do this for me.

Thanks.

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
You can use iTunes...

After your song is imported, go to Preferences --> Advanced --> Importing --> MP3 Encoder --> 128kbps quality

Then in the library, right-click any song and "Convert to MP3..."

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Since you're on Mac and only use iPods, I'd suggest to re-rip all your CDs to 128kbps AAC instead of doing all that MP3 re-encoding. A lot of people cannot hear the difference between MP3 160/192kbps and AAC 128kbps.

Of course, it would be nice if Apple gave us the iTunes/iPod shuffle feature (resample/recode before uploading to the iPod).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
the only problem with this is that your re-ripping from an already compressed source meaning you will lose more quality in the conversion. if you can't re-rip the songs from the CD i would try converting them in iTunes first and see if you're alright with the quality, or just leave them as they are.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
my favorite ripper/encoder for the mac is Max.

you still shouldn't transcode from compressed files if you don't have to, but Max will help you with all your conversions...

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 14, 2003
Thanks for the suggestions. I won't be reripping my cds. That would just takes forever. When I first ripped the majority of my stuff it took several days of constantly swapping discs in and out of not just 1 but 2 computers. Then the 2nd computer I used, I networked to my other and transferred all those songs over.

I've resampled a lot, in fact everything on my 10gb ipod (2000+ songs) has been resampled from 192 to 128 and personally I can't tell any difference. I read a lot of comments about lower quality or whatever, I guess everyone just has better hearing than me.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
im no expert, but you cant ADD fidelity to a track. Once its been dropped in the initial ripping process, the software cant accurately add in missing info.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.