Carrier App to cover tethering use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Azzin, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Azzin, Feb 20, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2014

Azzin macrumors 68040

Folks,

There's a viscious rumour going around that 3 (UK) will, from March, introduce a cap of some description on tethering use.

Currently, on 3's "One Plan" you get truly unlimited data, with tethering included (only UK operator offering this).

http://www.three.co.uk/Privacy_Cookies/Terms_Conditions?site=d&content_aid=1220469566802

Now, word (read-the internet) has it that a 2GB cap of some description will be applied to everyone who signs up for the One Plan from March 2014.

Because it's a rumour, no one really knows where this 2GB will apply (daily/month/weekly?), but if it does appear, then are there any ways to cloak the fact that you're tethering?

I seem to recall a big issue in the US when one of the carriers restricted tethering on unlimited tariffs (AT&T?), so I wondered what (if anything) you folks did?

Cheers.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AT&T never had tethering on their unlimited plans in the first place.

Jailbreak and use MyWi to share your internet instead of the built-in utility. I don't think AT&T can tell, because they haven't messaged me about it. I tried some other programs and almost immediately they sent me a text message about it.

3. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Ah ok, that's good to know, thanks.

I can tether without an issue using the built in iOS feature, but it would be good to be 'ahead of the game' in case this alleged cap does arrive at some point.

I've read stuff about networks getting flagged (for example) if you're suddenly doing Windows Updates on your connection, but I guess JB apps like MyWi mask that?

Thanks again. :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think it masks anything. If my SP is basing the tethering on what websites I'm visiting then that's a major breach in privacy. I just downloaded like 900 MB in Windows Update for a computer reinstall and I got nary a peep from AT&T.

The only difference I think it some apps enable and use the tethering function in iOS which my provider can detect (since it queries your SP to enable it, I assume there is some sort of check going on).

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Your SP is turning over websites visited to the NSA. Nobody cares if you're watching pr0n.

6. cynics macrumors G4

I believe AT&T cracked down on tethering to users that didn't have tethering plans on the iPhone. I believe people were doing this through jailbreak means.

I say the iPhone because some of the competitors phones made it possible to hide the fact you were tethering vs normal data usage. Again this was still against policy.

I'm not sure of all the fine details though because I never did it.

7. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Thanks folks.

The thing is, 3 (currently) actively allow you to tether on The One Plan, as it's big USP is that it comes with unlimited data.

So it's not that you're not allowed to tether, or even that you won't be able to after March, it's just that (alledgedly), there will be a 2GB cap that people obviously want to avoid.

8. Frizers macrumors regular

Urg. I was going to sign up to a 12 month contract with 3 because of the fact it's only £15 with unlimited tethering. If I sign up to it before they introduce a cap, can they then cap my allowance when they bring it in or only for new customers? Are they allowed to bring in a cap if you've signed up to an unlimited contract?

9. Brian Y, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014

Brian Y macrumors 68040

They can change your terms, but have to allow you to cancel, penalty free.

I doubt very much three are going to introduce limits. They've always said that it's unlimited, and going against that would be a major back turn. Also, they've just put the one plan up by £5 a month, so I doubt they're going to make it worse after doing that. It's now £20, not £15.

I have the old one plan. 12 month contract, £15 a month, unlimited data. I use on average 8-9GB a month and have never had a problem.

10. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

I *think* the One Plan £15 tariff is now £20 for a 12 month contract & £23 for a 1 month rolling contract.

It also still includes unlimited tethering and (according to the rumours), anyone that signs up before this mythical March deadline will get the unlimited tethering, for as long as they keep that contract running (is that's what's often referred to as "Grandfathering"?).

----------

It's not about introducing limits to the unlimited data Brian, just (apparently) to tethering.

You will still have unlimited data on your handset-and via 4G when it arrives in your area(s) at no extra charge.

Maybe they want to avoid people using tethering on 4G as a home broadband service, especially as we're seeing download speeds of up to 65Mbps on it...?

11. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

12. Frizers macrumors regular

My bad. Doubt they'll cap it now they've increased the price. Shoulda gone for it sooner. Bit difficult to justify jumping from £12pm on giffgaff to £20 on 3 for occasional tethering. £3 increase would have been fine but £8 is difficult when i would only use it occasionally

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

With many JB tethering hacks you will be able to tether even if your carrier doesnt allow you on your plan. We all been doing it for years on unlimited AT&T plans.
    But that's not to say that they cannot detect it on their end.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't care what my SP turns over as long as they don't flag individual websites just to take away my data plan.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The short end of it is that there is no real answer, since this hash;t been implemented yet, right?

For anything to actual track what and how much data you are using (client side) you would need to jailbreak, short of Apple adding that feature into iOS. The jailbreak apps that can do this have already been mentioned I believe.

16. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

Correct, it was only a rumour in fairness and I was just trying the 'forewarned is forearmed' approach.

It's not a data limit I'm interested in cloacking as my tariff comes with unlimited data.

It's just I want to be able to mask that I'm tethering if they introduce this (so far mythical) 2GB tethering limit.

Thanks everyone for posting though. :)

17. I7guy macrumors G5

Carefully read your TOS and don't assume.

18. bobright macrumors 601

Did you use Tehterme by any chance and they notify you on AT&T?

19. jamesbrobinson macrumors newbie

It looks like the rumours were true:

http://blog.three.co.uk/2014/03/18/three-make-0800-numbers-free-on-new-pay-monthly-plans/

20. Azzin thread starter macrumors 68040

They were indeed.

I'm not affected as I'm on an older contract so my unlimited tethering is staying, I was just curious for others and for down the line.

[Edit] - What's interesting is the bit that says "Our SIM only plans remain unchanged"...

21. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Just spoke to three and to clarify the above. The changes do not effect one plan sim only customers unless they sign up as new.

22. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I do wonder how Personal Hotspot is such an unusual "strain on their network"?

You can watch Netflix all you want on your device and use dozens of GB a month just like you can with Personal Hotspot.

I suppose hotspot users can torrent, which IS a big strain on the network, but surely they can just block that or throttle people using too much?

Once again providers said "unlimited", then put in provisos. Sigh.

23. I7guy macrumors G5

No SP grants you an unfettered license to use your data plan to send data off your phone. If they did you could legally set up mobile hotspot allowing users to tether to your phone and charge them for the usage. That's why there are the provisos. Unlimited generally means unlimited for use on your phone.

Whether SP know illegal tethering is taking place is for them to know and you to find out, I suppose.