App to display iPhone screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ifti, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Ifti macrumors 68000

Is there an app I can put onto my Mac that will enable me to show my iPhone or iPad screen? Kinda like the way the iPhone/iPad screen is displayed in the Apple Keynote events etc - they seem to just plug an adapter into the iPhone and can display everything on the phone but on a bigger screen.

I have some screen recording software already installed on my MacBook in case I want to create any tutorials etc, but I want to simply display my iOS screen onto my MacBook - similar to mirroring via the AppleTV2.

Is this possible (without jail breaking).

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Screen shots, just export them to the Mac. PhotoSync is pretty handy.

3. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Not really what I was after......
    Don't think there is anything that can do it though. He do apple do it in their presentations?

4. chaos86, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

On jailbroken iPhones you can install a VNC server, but that is subject to the low framerates of VNC.

I'm sure when Steve did presentations on iDevices he had special hardware capable of sending the video signal out directly.

You might try the Apple HDMI adapter here. We use it at work with an iPad 2 in screen mirroring mode (we make promos for iOS apps).
    Note that in mirror mode it's not full resolution-- it outputs a 720p signal (1280x720) which can't fit the iPad's XGA (1024x768) screen inside it. In addition to that, the iPad screen isn't even scaled to fit, it's scaled down further than necessary, so there is a black border on all 4 sides. In video output mode, which is when you're not mirroring the screen but sending out a video as if to a second display, you get the video at an actual 720p.

5. johninsf macrumors newbie

6. Ifti thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks, yes thats the one I cme across in the end and have been using it successfully for the past few months.
    Works great - saying that I havent tested with ML yet......something to try when I get home!