App to edit photo meta data before I upload?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamesmcnee, Jan 17, 2017.

1. jamesmcnee macrumors member

I'm trying to clean up old photos.

When I scan a snapshot it - - obviously - - has today's date. I can upload to Google Photos and change the date there but I wonder if there is an easy app that would let me edit meta data - - date, place, details,... - - before I upload so I can keep the proper details on the file on my hard drive.

Any suggestions?

2. Ianbuckley macrumors newbie

3. jasnw macrumors 6502

I use ExifTool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/), a command-line app that allows you to modify pretty much any of the metadata in image files. If you aren't into command-line operations, there's a list of links to Mac apps at the bottom of the site's first page that might provide some help finding GUI-based tools. I've seen that there's a Windows GUI front-end for this program but haven't seen an equivalent for macOS, although there might be one (haven't done an exhaustive search).

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

The best application on the Mac for rapid and batch entry of metadata is Photo Mechanic. But it might be overkill for you.

I'd suggest Graphic Converter, an application that's been on Macs since about Day 1. It uses exiftool to run a variety of metadata scripts for timestamping, geolocation, describing, and so on. In addition to all its other features. And it has a nice browser.

5. jamesmcnee thread starter macrumors member

Perfect. This will spur me to action. Thanks

6. HDFan macrumors 6502

I use A Better Finder Attributes. Nice graphical interface.

7. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

Graphic Converter is an essential utility for a Mac. It has many photo management tools. The developer is also very helpful.