App to fake carrier?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by mrblack927, Oct 23, 2011.

1. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Hi all,

Is there a way to fake what carrier an app "sees" when it checks your phone? Sort of like fakelocation does for GPS. I ask because the NFL mobile app checks your carrier when it starts up and doesn't let you proceed if you're not on Verizon. I have a jailbroken iPhone, I was hoping there was a tweak to remedy this.

2. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

3. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

For GSM phone, we have few options from Cydia that you can change the carrier name. So, try the following

Makeitmine.
    Fakecarrier

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

nope at least not a legal way at least and I have no idea how. I'd never full with it period let alone to trick a app so I can hear/see a blackout game.

you can try those but it just changes the test display of the carrier. So I can have say Labman's. as the carrier nut it doesn't really change the carrier.
    Makeitmine.
    Fakecarrier

5. mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

Okay thanks. Sucks when companies make these stupid exclusivity deals but what can you do. :eek:

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It's called marketing. Verizon added this service to their users as an incentive to use them as a carrier.

Just pay for the service like any other customer.

7. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I think you missed the point. he is not wanting to steal it he is wanting to be about to use an app that is exclusive to verizon on his att iPhone. has nothing to do with cash............. I would like to use the same app

8. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

aren't blackouts contingent on a location/ip? Wouldn't a simple vpn work for that or are they specifically asking for carrier/etc...

If your dying to watch games, I'd suggest just doing it on a computer would be best.

Cheers,
    Brian

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

now I'm understanding it's a license agreement issue. Verizon has wjat he wants but he is AT&T. I don't even think the forum would like us talking about ways to do this. not sure but this is not why I jailbreak so I'm out!

10. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

well I also like to add that you have to sign up for Vcast to watch live games. Which I didn't have to do before. BS.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I did not miss the point. This is a service offered by Verizon for their customers. If you want this service, you need to pay Verizon and become their customer, not AT&T or Sprint.

12. mrblack927, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

mrblack927 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I would gladly pay Verizon, but they're not available in my area. That's the point. It's not about money, it's about pointless exclusivity that blacks out an arbitrary subset of customers for no reason.

If I could find a workaround that allowed me to use the app on my ATT iPhone and still pay Verizon, I would do it. Hell, I would even pay double. But they won't let me. They don't serve my area and they locked up the contract with the NFL so that they won't let those who do serve my area give it to me either.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Point is there isn't a app for that! Try looking for other solutions. We can't help you with this.

14. xqyty macrumors newbie

You can try LocationHolic.
    I think LocationHolic is more easy to use. It support ios5 notification center.