App to identify web traffic

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by adam9c1, Oct 27, 2015.

1. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Need to find an app that will identify current web traffic per port and bandwidth.

Our network admin thinks OS X caching server is causing issues on the network creating too many SSL connections and choking his web filter.
    I suspect there is a qos implementation blocking access to Apple as a whole as most of the time any App store downloads are very slow and eventually they time out.

2. campyguy macrumors 68030

Little Snitch. QED. I still haven't found any network process or activity it doesn't have the ability to monitor and display.

3. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Does it let me export graph data?

Will it show bandwidth per hour? IN OUT

4. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I'm looking for something like Netusetrafficmonitor but for a local port.
    I'm not sure if Little Snitch provides that info.

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

The utility does export graph data - they're called a Snapshot. The Monitor has panels for data usage for either or all of service, local network and/or web traffic - and ports can be sniffed, monitored, and blocked/opened individually and per-application.

For instance, I use a web app named Fluid that allow for using on a dedicated site and I can opt to keep cookies and tracking totally with the Fluid app. I use Little Snitch to allow that Fluid app to talk to the relevant data servers but also block Twitter/Facebook/etc. by setting up Rules within Little Snitch. I can also block unwanted traffic globally or per-application - and save and share that preference set among my Macs.

LS also allows for approving/denying network activity for every process - which can get kind of busy, and also for limited periods of time or "forever". The dev does have a trial - Objective Development, and they've been around for quite a while.

6. campyguy macrumors 68030

Almost forgot - LS can also monitor and create a log dump (capture file - pcap file) for any individual process or port.

7. adam9c1 thread starter macrumors 65816

adam9c1