App to keep a web page active?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by -aggie-, Jan 8, 2010.

1. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Is there an app that will keep a webpage active? My work email logs me off if I'm not actively doing something in email about every 5 minutes with no activity. It's annoying to have to constantly log in again, if I'm surfing the web. Any ideas?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Your company probably has the timeout for a reason... idle connections are security risks.

That being said an Applescript would probably be the best way.

3. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm in my house. The risk is minimal.

So, any ideas on the Applescript I'd need? However, I've heard of apps doing this for Windows, so there must be something for a Mac.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Is this VPN or Citrix or something like that?

5. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just webmail.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Google has not been my friend on this one. I have a similar question about citrix but I am on windows.

7. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well as you know I normally google, but wasn't exactly sure what terms to use to find. I also thought someone would just know (while saving me the moral speech). My work gets more and more ridiculous every few months or so. We now have 12 characters passwords and if I'm at home, I can only view attachments. The time span before logging off used to be about 15 minutes, but now it's just ridiculous (I can be reading an email and preparing a response and I get logged out...been burned a number of times with that :().

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Incidentally, I was saying I was googling to try and help. Sometimes I google something and find it when I watch someone do it in front of me and not find it. I was not saying to google, I was saying that I could not find it to help.

9. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I knew what you meant. It's all good. You only told me to google the first time we interacted. :)

I did find this as a solution:

10. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you use Firefox, the iMacros addon might of assistance. I'm not sure what "activity" the webmail needs to be considered active.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well I think I've made up for that since then ... maybe.

12. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

Of course you have.

That only looks like a macro, so I'd still have to click something to login, unless I'm reading something wrong. Have you used it for the way I want to?

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Download firefox then search the addon list on Mozilla for refreshevery I think it's called. It allows you to refresh the web page every few minutes etc.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hrm I may try that.

15. alienapp macrumors member

well there is one way to prevent you from logging out every few minutes. I've discovered this by accident.

This only works if your company website uses cookies to track if you have login or not.

After you login click on private browsing. That will prevent you from login out.

16. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

It's ReloadEvery. You may have solved my issue. Testing it now. If it works, I'll have jessica. kiss you! :) With her consent, of course.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

18. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

leave_pedobear_alone2_.jpg

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Damn it I really thought I was going To get a nice kiss. (gutted)

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Obviously don't try using the page your refreshing to write an email lol

21. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You'd have to do an initial login (or create a macro for that), but the macros can do other things like refresh the page or click on things and can be set to loop so it would, in theory, keep your session active. I haven't used it for what you're wanting as I don't use any webmail systems that auto-logout after a specified time (anymore).

22. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I was about to say it didn't work. The website itself doesn't have any documentation of how it works. I checked around on other sites and found this:

So, I was trying to change something in the tab bar, but there was nothing there. Then I found the above and right clicked and the options to change the time and enable. I see how it works now (I couldn't even log on with it enabled. :) )

So, testing it again.

23. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

24. -aggie- thread starter macrumors P6

-aggie-

I can't get a drop down on the reload button. Right clicking on the page works though.

Edit: There's a VERY small arrow to the right of the reload button for ReloadEvery.

BTW, do you know any other cool add-ons for Firefox?

Anyway, I've tested it thoroughly and it works as advertised. As you said, you just have to remember to turn it off when writing an email. I'm going to see how it works on a 5 minute interval, so that I'll rarely need to turn it off.

Thanks. I'll send jessica over. :) Whether she'll do anything I say or ask is debatable.

25. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There are lots of addons for firefox. Some allow you to grab embedded video for example. Some embedded pictures etc. Just think of what you need and search. 9/10 'there's an addon for that'. No pun intented.