App to Leave DISPLAY ON while in charger

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TB07-NJ, Jul 16, 2008.

1. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I had this on my Palm Treo (forgot the name) as well as my Blackberry (BBLIGHT). Looking for an APP to keep the screen on while the phone is in the cradle hooked up to power. (IPHONE 3G)

This allowed the phone to be used as a clock without the screen blanking.

Anyone?

2. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Hey that would be kinda cool...

Basically just a clock app that refuses to sleep?

3. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Since no background apps are allowed, I wouldn't expect something like this. If anything, it could be an option in a future firmware release though.

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Unless you the clock was displayed by the app. Meaning, you would open the app and a clock would display. Then the app would fake keystrokes to keep the display from falling asleep. I'm not too familiar with the SDK, but it might be possible.

5. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I think it could be done particularly easily if you used OpenGL. If I leave Super Monkey Ball open and don't do anything it doesn't sleep.

6. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

I'm simply referring to the "lock screen" (the screen with the UNLOCK slider) to always stay on while being charged.

That being said, is there a way to extend the timeout of that screen? It goes off in like 5 seconds unless you unlock. When I was in an Apple store that screen was always on while the phone was in their charger display dock.

7. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Did you try setting the autolock to never?

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh as stated above set auto lock to never then open the clock app?

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm thinking set auto lock to never, manually lock the phone, then click a button to show the screen but don't unlock it. I have no idea if this would work.

10. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

This won't work.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Why not? What does it do?

12. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Auto-lock prevents the screen from locking. They're asking about preventing the already locked screen from turning off.

There is no application that can do that. It would require modyfing the system which applications cannot do.

Why do you need the screen on, though? Is pressing the home or power button that difficult?

13. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

It turns itself off after about 10 seconds like usual. The auto-lock never keeps the phone from locking. Since you are still locked at that point it doesn't know you want the screen to stay on.

14. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

You are correct in what I am looking for.

Yet when I visited the Apple Store to see an iPhone (1 week pre-3G release) they had about 6 of them sitting in docks/chargers and ALL were on the lock screen with the screen turned on and it never timed out. I'm trying to figure out how they did that ... no one there had an explanation.

Why? Because I like to have the clock always available as well as be able to look at a picture of my grandkids which is the wallpaper. :) I miss that feature from 10+ years with a Treo and then a Blackberry. Both had apps to always keep the screen on while in the charger.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I leave the iTunes remote on (with iTunes playing) and set my auto lock to never. Have been doing this for a year (using Signal before Apple iTunes remote).

16. TB07-NJ thread starter macrumors 68020

You're still missing the point. It **IS** the lock screen I want to remain on. :) The screen with the "slide bar" and the clock on top!

17. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

This just hit me when I dropped my phone into the dock...when it's docked its (probably) charging. When it's charging the battery is shown on screen instead of the wallpaper. Which would mean it wouldn't work for your purpose.

18. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

This just hit me when I dropped my phone into the dock...when it's docked its (probably) charging. When it's charging the battery is shown on screen instead of the wallpaper. Which would mean it wouldn't work for your purpose.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

What I would like to see is an App that could screen overly the time/date (like on the home screen and configurable) on top of the running App. So I could have the itunes controller and the time/date on it.

20. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You can leave any App on while charging by turning the Auto Lock to never. OP (and I too) just want to be able to see the time/date. I do this ever night with the iTunes App (and Signal before 2.0).

21. jwflutterby macrumors regular

Maybe reach out to SplashData and see if they can do something like the SplashClock app they have for Palm OS... I used to use it on my Treo, it detects when you are charging and displays the date/time and can be set to cycle through your pics for backgrounds...

22. cheffi macrumors newbie

I've spotted a Cydia app which extends the time to 10 seconds.

Nevertheless, there is another major advantage to this request:

if I connect my iphone 3g to my alpine car-audio-headunit it blocks the ipod --> no coverflow etc. (because the hu controls the ipod directly)

BUT

lockscreen active -> it shows you what song is playing right now WITH cover!

So much for my interest in this question :)

(sorry for my english if i messed up some sentence..)

23. Pring macrumors 6502

There are several apps that do this. Check out 'Night Stand'.

24. cheffi macrumors newbie

indeed, but this dosen't solve the initial problem of keep the lockscreen on. some possibility has to be there... :(

25. Ashyukun macrumors 6502

Yup. I use NightTime overnight when I have my phone sitting on my Sony dock-alarm clock since I cover up the clock's actual display due to it being way too bright. :cool: