App to locate & reassociate missing tracks in iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SiliconAddict, Aug 30, 2008.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

My streak with weird things on my Mac continues. Last night I went to play some of my music on iTunes only to find that somehow. Don't ask me how. All my iTMS tracks in itunes somehow managed to be disassociated with iTunes. So the track is still listed in iTunes. The file is still in the same directory But for some reason when I click on the track I get a prompt (See attached pict as example.) to find the file. I can browse to it and everything is fine but I REALLY do not want to do this for 344 tracks. Is there anyway of either automating this process or possibly an app to do this? I've been dinking around with Automator for the last hour and can't seem to get it to work in that.

If anyone has any ideas on how to restore this I would very much appreciated it. Or has any idea on why this happened for that matter. I didn't move any of the directories around. Haven't updated iTunes....still on 7.7. It just went poof. *sighs*

Attached Files:

• Huh.png
      Huh.png
      File size:
      49.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It should be possible to script this, using Spotlight to find the files.

I'm not great at AppleScript, so somebody else may be able to do this.

3. Kieranw macrumors newbie

Hey, in similar frustration with 'disappearing' songs in itunes, i found this:

http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/musicsoftware/0,239029154,240063922,00.htm

I just did it and it works fine, although once i had 'deleted' all my songs from itunes I had to drag and drop my whole itunes folder into itunes itself. Instead of just changing the "itunes music folder location" in preferences, as this guys mentions. That didn't seem to work for me. Takes a while with the drag and drop method, but it's refreshing to see no more little exclamation marks.

Cheers