App to lock folders?

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Is there an app out there that can lock individual folders? I have a few folders I need to be locked. I don't need encryption, But it would be a plus. If there is another thread direct me there please.

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
Theres nothing that makes it so when i click on the folder it asks for a password?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Theres nothing that makes it so when i click on the folder it asks for a password?
Usually not in your own account. It's usually not needed because all YOUR stuff is already password protected. That why the system allows for separate users. Unless you want to protect yourself from yourself (Memento issues?) the normal way to do it is to share a folder with other users, and then you can set what ever permissions you like.

Filevault can make encrypted and password protect volumes; it's an extra layer of protection. Even if you could find something to password protect folders it probably wouldn't be very secure or reliable.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
No. What's you're asking for is called an encrypted disk image. It's a file that you click, enter a password and then it mounts your disk image as a volume (i.e. hard drive) in OSX. When you're done you unmount it like you would any other thumb drive.

You can create the disk images yourself using Disk Utility or you can shell the cash for something like Knox to do it for you.

ibarrett94

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 31, 2011
It's a dropbox folder though. I guess what you said about the master password is true, just me being paranoid.

pcferg

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2012
LameSecure? MacKeeper?

Is there an app out there that can lock individual folders? I have a few folders I need to be locked. I don't need encryption, But it would be a plus. If there is another thread direct me there please.
I'm looking for the same thing. I'm a teacher and we have a peer to peer network in which every student in my class logs on to the "Journalism" level while other classes log on to, say, "Digital Photography" or whatever. The problem is they can see all the desktops and everything over the network and make mischief if they wish. One student recently deleted another student's files. I'm not sure I want a separate level for each student. 150 of them use this lab. It would be cool, though, if each could have a password protected folder of their own that couldn't get deleted. The two app.s I mentioned are what I've come across in my research so far. Any recommendations?