App to password-protect folders?

ThunderRoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Thread title is pretty self-explanatory. Is there an app that will let me password-protect specific folders/documents?

I'm trying to avoid installing anything which hides certain folders, because just prompting a password would be so much simpler.

Thanks

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm not really sure why Apple doesn't enable this feature, but I guess app developers aren't allowed to make apps like that.

If you want to do what you've said, you'll have to jailbreak. It's super easy though, just takes one click with the new Absinthe jailbreak :)

Comment

MacDawg

macrumors Core
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Is this for your Mac (posted in the Mac Applications Forum)
or for your iPhone (all of the answers you have received)

They are two different questions

Comment

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thread title is pretty self-explanatory. Is there an app that will let me password-protect specific folders/documents?

I'm trying to avoid installing anything which hides certain folders, because just prompting a password would be so much simpler.

Thanks
You can use this method to encrypt specific OS X folders as sparse image bundles.

Comment

ThunderRoad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Is this for your Mac (posted in the Mac Applications Forum)
or for your iPhone (all of the answers you have received)

They are two different questions
For my Mac, sorry I should have specified. Does that change the stance on jailbreaking etc?

You can use this method to encrypt specific OS X folders as sparse image bundles.
I'll keep that method in mind, just wondering if there were any apps dedicated to it. Thanks

Comment

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I just created a encrypted image (.iso) that I leave on my desktop, then it prompts for a password when you mount it, do what you need to do then unmount the image and thats it..

Comment

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
For my Mac, sorry I should have specified. Does that change the stance on jailbreaking etc?

I'll keep that method in mind, just wondering if there were any apps dedicated to it. Thanks
There doesn't exist any comparable concept as jailbreaking a Mac, because it doesn't need it. Those who posted answers related to it simply hadn't noticed which forum they were in.

jW

Comment