app to put macbook to sleep based on temperature?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by drjaymez, Jul 18, 2012.

1. drjaymez macrumors member

Running a macbook air. Need to use an app to allow the macbook to be closed without sleeping, but I don't want the macbook to be at risk of overheating (which seems unlikely for this scenario, and the time based sleep setting in Energy Saver still work and have been set to 10 minutes). My thought was to run another app alongside NoSleep to accomplish this task. googling and searching this forum didn't readily yield an answer.

Insomniax was a little wonky on my 2012 macbook air running 10.7.4. As soon as it was plugged in and then unplugged again, I had to exit and then restart Insomniax.

2. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

Caffeine?

I've had it installed since 2007 but have never really needed it. Thought I'd keep it around in case I ever do.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To keep your MBP awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

NoSleep also keeps your Mac notebook awake when you close the lid.

There is no risk of overheating, as the Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Caffeine won't keep a Mac awake with the lid closed.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not necessary. The computer will not overheat simply because the lid is closed. It's designed to run in clamshell mode, and will continue to take in and vent out air to keep the machine cool (it all happens through the hinge, so it doesn't affect it if the display is open or closed).

jW

5. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

No kidding?? What's it for then?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It temporarily overrides energy saver settings when the lid is open.

7. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

My gosh. 6 years later. Glad I never said "Hey, it's cool, I got this app that'll keep it from sleeping when the lid is closed."

Would've looked like a fool.:D

8. drjaymez thread starter macrumors member

It's amazing to me that the emergency shutdown temp is actually higher than boiling. I suspect the intel engineers know more about that stuff than i do, so i will trust them. The fans don't even really kick up until 95 or so. Amazing.

9. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Remember that 100C is the boiling point of water, not silicon or really most any other material, certainly not those in computers. The melting point of the materials in the CPU and close/related parts is above the emergency shutdown temperature by a fair margin, which is the important thing.

jW