App to save QT stream to QT movie?

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Hi, sorry if this is a repost, I was just wondering if there was a good app to save QT streams (URLs I guess) to fully independent QT videos?
I know of StreamRipperX that does this for audio streams, but I don't know of a video equivalent?
Any ideas?

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
James Philp said:
Hi, sorry if this is a repost, I was just wondering if there was a good app to save QT streams (URLs I guess) to fully independent QT videos?
I know of StreamRipperX that does this for audio streams, but I don't know of a video equivalent?
Any ideas?
it is much easier to grab audio.. video is harder. good luck, such a thing does not exist to my knowledge. depending on how you do it you may be able to have mplayer dump the video to a file.. but who knows beyond that.

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
James Philp said:
you would think there would be an app to take a stream of data and stack it into a file!? :confused:
not all files are created equal. you understand that as a movie is streamed it is skipping and dropping frames left and right ... right? it's not easy to just start grabbing data from a stream and saving it.. any other file, sure.. but not a streaming file.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
DXoverDY said:
not all files are created equal. you understand that as a movie is streamed it is skipping and dropping frames left and right ... right? it's not easy to just start grabbing data from a stream and saving it.. any other file, sure.. but not a streaming file.
There are a bunch of apps that will do this for audio, and a bunch of different types of audio stream too, so why not video? All you have to do is handshake (and verify) the data that is streamed into the Mac, which shouldn't be too bad and streamed data already has a lot of handshaking protocol built in.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
DXoverDY said:
Um, I saved tonight's Keynote flawlessly. Am I missing something here?

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
Sogo said:
Well i dont know if this will work since i havent tried it, but maybe if you use Screen Movie you might be able to save it.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd say that program would work, but the video wouldn't be nearly as good of quality as it could be. Maybe we'll be able to just download it sometime soon in decent quality? Who knows?

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Another request......

iGary said:
Um, I saved tonight's Keynote flawlessly. Am I missing something here?

No, I think we're missing something here. How did you download and save the streaming video?

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
okay, i know how to save a regular rtsp:// stream... using the command line VLC method (also there's the command line Mplayer method).

but now the trick is to find out how to save a H.264 rtsp:// stream... ;) because i think that VLC and Mplayer can't play H.264 so therefore can't save the stream as usual.

so if anyone know's how to do it...

and come on iGary - be a good sport. :)