App to Save Specific Window Tile Positions & Settings?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daudi81, Oct 30, 2014.

1. daudi81 macrumors regular

I don't know if there is an app for this, but let me explain...

I have 3 monitors: Left is Macbook Pro 15", Middle is Thunderbolt Monitor, Right is Thunderbolt Monitor. (MBP - TB - TB)

My problem is that I have a specific tile setting on each monitor.

For example, on my left monitor, I have a specific 2x3 grid of my chat & note apps. Middle monitor I have full screen browser. Right monitor I have 2x3 grid of word processing apps, spotify, etc. And then 1-2 desktop spaces per monitor, each with it's own grid system. It's rather complicated - however I have it memorized so I'm extremely efficient when I need to switch to a frequently used app.

My problem is that every time I reboot and/or pull my laptop from the external monitors it messes everything up. I have to go in and resize, move around desktop spaces, etc etc.

I have an app called Divvy that speeds this process up, but I was wondering if there was some app or shortcut / shortcut key so that each specific app opens up on a specified monitor and in a specific space on my grid. Then when I go into laptop mode - I can put it in another setting so that I don't have to spend 5-10 minutes re-arranging every time I hook / unhook my laptop from the monitors. I can just save a setting and load up that profile / setting and boom I have every app where I want it.

I hope that makes sense. I used to be able to do this on my windows machine several years ago, but I can't figure out how to do it on this mac.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Take a look at the app Moom.

I use it similar to what you are describing. It can be set to remember screen positions and change them based on if you are running an external display. Lots of configurable hotkeys also.

[​IMG]