App to send free SMS from my ATT cell phone number?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rrandyy, Aug 14, 2010.

1. rrandyy macrumors 6502

I've searched for this without any success. I know there are a bunch of apps out there that will let me send free SMS messages using a new phone number. But are there any that will let me use my existing cell phone number to send free SMS messages?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

no

3. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I don't know of any that will allow you to send an SMS to just anyone. However, my wife and I use WhatsApp as do several other good friends of mine. I can send them all the MMS and SMS messages I want with no charge since we're all on the same application. It's just one of many apps like it. Works great if you're on board with several friends and what not who use it.

4. msubugzy macrumors member

at that point wouldn't emailing be just as effective?...although i assume the app does a notification so maybe that is the perk

and their are a ton of apps that will let you send SMS to people for free, but you have to use something different from your number (i have no clue actually what it sends from but i've seen them all over the app store)

5. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

yep....SMS push and instant notification is the perk. We use it because I see little to no reason to pay AT&T for all the text messages my wife and I exchange throughout the month. I keep my plan at a simple 200 per month which more than covers my texts to everyone else.