App to shoot video and take pictures simultaneously full rez

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
I know there are plenty to apps that can take a snapshot while shooting video on the iPhone. But they usually cause a momentary glitch in the video (audio dropout or lost frames) or it's just a single frame image pulled out at the same resolution as the video.

I was wondering if anyone has an app that uses the iPhone + wide angle camera for video and the normal camera for true high resolution photos, so that you get the highest quality image from both.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I know there are plenty to apps that can take a snapshot while shooting video on the iPhone. But they usually cause a momentary glitch in the video (audio dropout or lost frames) or it's just a single frame image pulled out at the same resolution as the video.

I was wondering if anyone has an app that uses the iPhone + wide angle camera for video and the normal camera for true high resolution photos, so that you get the highest quality image from both.
What about Apple's on iOS Camera app?

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
What about Apple's on iOS Camera app?
Not "High-Res". Only 4K at most (which is incredible considering...).

To answer the OP: No. There is no app that will allow you to do anything but essentially take a screenshot of the video being taken. It's a limitation of the hardware from what I understand (from the old days of jailbreakers trying to do it).

Only one or the other. Otherwise it'd be a pretty killer feature for Apple to advertise I'd think!

qtrim

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2011
Well, they need to work on that. Or open the API for both cams.

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Well, they need to work on that. Or open the API for both cams.
The trouble is, even when jailbroken, devs were unable to get it working. I'm the wrong guy to ask about the specifics, but someone had the same request a few years back and it ended up being a hard "can't do it" because of the way Apple designed the camera system. Something about the way it writes to the internal memory or something? I would think it could multi-task, but maybe when it's recording/writing video taking full 12MP stills is just too much (or would cause an impact on the vid like you described (like a start/stop effect while the pic was taken).

It might be possible with a jailbroken two-lens (plus) model now that I think about it, since there would be two cameras addressable at separate times, but even that might have a flaw I'm not thinking of.

At any rate, for now, we get 4K stills while also shooting insanely fast FPS 4K Video/Audio. Not too shabby for a PHONE.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I'd like an app that allows front and back cameras to film at the same time. Would be cool to record your reactions to something you're filming.