app to slow down cpu to get better battery life?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmcgeejr, Sep 14, 2011.

1. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

I have the i7 and I am sure if I could throttle the cpu so it stays at a low ghz I could get even better battery life, I used to have something like this on my windows laptop. Cheers.

2. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

3. jmcgeejr thread starter macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Yes I know but it maxes out the cpu when not needed for certain apps and such.

4. minnus macrumors 6502

If you're on Windows, then you can use an app called ThrottleStop. It allows you to pretty much maintain a state of turbo, or not. When I tested it on my i5, when capping it at 1.7 GHz (no turbo), the CPU maintained a relatively cool 77 ish C (can't remember the exact) instead of the 95-96C peak.

5. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

Dont believe coolbook works with the new MBAs. Certainly not with Lion.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your battery life is dependent on many factors, including screen brightness, WiFi, Bluetooth, apps/widgets/processes running, etc. Unless you're placing heavy demands on your CPU/GPU, your screen brightness is probably a bigger factor in battery life than your processor. If you want to reduce the demands on your processor, reduce the number of processes you have running. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: