App to sort all images by color?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BlueberryMac, Mar 25, 2011.

1. BlueberryMac macrumors member

BlueberryMac

Hi, back in October, I lost about 2 years of photos when I updated to the new iPhoto. :(
    Anyway, now I have a bunch photos I have recovered, a bunch of photos still in iPhoto, and a bunch of other photos in an old machine.

Here's what I want to do:

I'd like to put all of my folders of photos into one big folder and then run an app which looks at the photos (not really so much the other file attributes—date/name/etc, a lot of which we lost in the recovered files) and examines them by something like their colors (or the average color of the image).

My hope is that then I would have a big screen of thumbnails, sorted by their color content. Then, say, all seven identical copies of Fred Flintstone eating a pineapple would be grouped together since they look the same.

Then I could just go through and delete out the duplicates.

I know I could use an app to sort by file size, but with thousands of images, I'm sure I would have a lot of photos with similar file sizes.

Do you know of any apps that would do something like this?

Thanks for any suggestions (and links) you can throw my way! :)

P.S. - my only other idea was to throw Picasa at a folder of all of my images and have it look for faces. (I know when I was making one of Picasa's Face Movies for a friend, I found that I had a lot of duplicate images—because I kept seeing the same exact face clips popping up) This would be kind of a last resort thing, as it would only find images with people in it.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I know there are tools in Unix to compare file contents independent of mod date, etc. because I've seen them used in forensics; you might check around for those since it doesn't really matter for your purposes that they are photo files.

But you could also look at Deep by Ironic Software. It's in the Mac App Store, and I think there's a demo http://ironicsoftware.com/deep/index.html

It's designed to search images color. Great complement to their other applications, BTW.

Rob

3. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I don't know any apps like this, but if you have any programming experience, you could make an app like this in no time.

If real intention is to determine similar images, there are measures that are far better than just average color.

4. BlueberryMac thread starter macrumors member

BlueberryMac

Problem solved!

I found an app that did exactly what I wanted (and without having to resort to my over-thought-out color-scanning method). The app I found scanned my drive for duplicates, then was able to keep just the latest copies, and trash the rest.

The $20 app is called Decloner. :)