app to stream from Airport Extreme to iPhone/iPad

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patent10021, Jan 11, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

what's the best app to stream from Airport Extreme to iPhone/iPad?

No chance it's free hey?

2. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I use an app called Zumocast to stream music from my iTunes library to my iPhone (& iPad)

Download the app and download the software for your PC/Mac and it just pretty much works.

Ive set my mac to wake when it is needed over the network so it isnt on all the time.

I open the Apple remote app to wake the computer, then open zumocast (knowing my computer is now awake) to pick and stream my music.

It also works in the background so you can do other stuff while listening to music, and also allows you to stream video's and look at files, folders and documents. (On the iPad you can open word documents and open them in pages to edit them.)

Another feature is remote access using 3G which is great for streaming your whole itunes library to your phone. (provided you computer is on and you have a decent data allowance)

So yeah, as you can guess, I like Zumocast :)

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Thanks I'll check it out... I just found Air Video. It's basically the same I guess. Gotta download the Mac server version to stream.

Problem is the free version you can only see a limited number of folders inside the server folder.

But like your app you can stream from 3G over IP from work, or any location in the world which is neat.

I just tried my 720p anime streamed from the 2TB HD I have connected to my Airport Extreme and the quality is the same as if I loaded it onto my iPhone. Awesome.

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Air Video is great, and it is very similar.

Although, as far as I know Air Video does not allow you to stream music, only video.

I would like airplay to recognise my iPhone or iPad as a speaker, that would be perfect, and im sure Apple are working on it.

There is a jailbreak method of doing this, although im not jailbroken so I couldnt really help you with that im afraid.

But in the mean time Zumocast does it just fine for me.

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Ah dang! Your'e right. I just realized that. But man, the video function is awesome. I can't DL Zumocast right now because their server is down for maintenance.

These apps are awesome though.

Air Video has than access by PIN option that I love because even if your IP changes you can access by PIN. I hope Zumocast is that easy to connect via internet.

And yes reverse AirPlay would be frikkin brilliant.

6. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

Looks like Zumocast for iPhone is dead. Existing customers will be ok but it looks like no new signups for iPhone.

http://bit.ly/hP9zOn