Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
I strongly recommend Plex! You'll be able to stream absolutely anything you can throw at it! I use a FireWire video capture program to record TV and Plex can seamlessly stream its bizarre format and enormous files (1hr=5gb)

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Tried Home Sharing now and god does it work flawless. Of course, no avi support so I'll have to stick to mp4 I suppose. Gonna try Plex also I think ;)

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Old post, but I use Quik.io http://quik.io

You don't even have to be on the same wifi which is awesome. You just need the client, to make a login, and choose your folders.

It's absolutely beautiful too. Been using it for a few months now. :D

Ok, I have downloaded and used this app via both wifi and cellular. Love it! By far the easiest one I have setup and have had absolutely zero issues with it! Thank you

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
My late 2011 13" base model MacBook Pro... :confused:

I was just wondering, didn't know if you had another machine running the client software that is all. I want to sell my XP box and get a Mac Mini to run it. Sounds like you are not having any problems with the MBP running it.

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. Still love this app as I use it pretty much everyday to and from work and while I am at work!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I was just wondering, didn't know if you had another machine running the client software that is all. I want to sell my XP box and get a Mac Mini to run it. Sounds like you are not having any problems with the MBP running it.

Thanks a bunch.

P.S. Still love this app as I use it pretty much everyday to and from work and while I am at work!

Ah right. Think you should be fine with the Mini. I mean, I AirPlay using AirServer (I know it's not the same app we're talking about here) to an iMac G4 that is over 10 years old and it doesn't lag! :eek: Really has to do with your internet connection, because it's just essentially like a streaming server.

I still need to set it back up again. I've been trying to move all my media to one partition for the last month and I've been SO lazy! :eek:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Ah right. Think you should be fine with the Mini. I mean, I AirPlay using AirServer (I know it's not the same app we're talking about here) to an iMac G4 that is over 10 years old and it doesn't lag! :eek: Really has to do with your internet connection, because it's just essentially like a streaming server.

I still need to set it back up again. I've been trying to move all my media to one partition for the last month and I've been SO lazy! :eek:

Great!!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!! and I know about the being lazy lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.