Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jun 15, 2000
I've wanted an app to sync Stickies for a long time. I just searched briefly on the App Store and didn't find anything that syncs them. Am I correct that there is nothing that does this yet?

I'm an iPhone dev and if no one picks this idea up I will eventually do it.

Anyone else interested in the idea?

stiphone

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I would love to see an App like that in the App store. However, to my knowledge now, I've not heard of anything that can sync with the stickies on the iPhone yet. There are some notes app that you can sync with another Mac program though.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
So far the only apps in the App store are simple "stickies" apps, but they can't sync with the Stickies app in OS X.

I'd also love to see this App created.

There is a problem with it though…

iPhone / iPod touch apps can't natively sync with desktop software. I know 1Password app syncs information across, but that requires Bonjour and it also requires the user to press "sync" in the desktop version of 1Password at the same time as running the App on their iPhone within locality of their Mac. So an iPhone app that synced stickies would require a similar process. Of course the problem with that is syncing once with 1Password is minimal hassle, but to manually sync the stickies app each time you got home would be a big issue.

I think an easier solution would be to as go as far as write a plugin for stickies (or even an entirely new stickies app for OS X) that syncs the stickies to a server and would make the stickies accessible from any computer by logging into a webpage that displayed them. Similar to Don't Forget The Milk. Then write an iPhone App that effectively acted the same way by syncing to the same website. Could be quite the lucrative business opportunity ;)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
What are stickies?

It's an app that lets you write little notes in OS X

512%20Stickies.png

stickies.jpg

dashboard-notes.jpg

PIXELFLIP

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
hear, hear!

Voicing agreement: I'd pay for an application to sync OSX Stickies via MobileMe in a heartbeat.

Someone get on it! I can't code to save my life.

odelay

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
Mobile me does

No it doesn't. It doesn't even sync notes with the OSX mail app. There is an option to sync notes to MobileMe on OSX, but they will only appear in the mail app on the iPhone (and are therefore not editable), but they don't sync to the iphone's notes app.

I would definitely pay for an iPhone app that syncs with OSX stickies.

PIXELFLIP

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2008
Evernote works

Evernote does the trick, has some bells & whistles... ..works with Twitter (?!) -but I still think Stickies sync should be BUILT IN to OSX.

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
u should make an app for that so that Apple isn't wrong when they said there's an app for that.

GPSJane

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
I've wanted an app to sync Stickies for a long time. I just searched briefly on the App Store and didn't find anything that syncs them. Am I correct that there is nothing that does this yet?

I'm an iPhone dev and if no one picks this idea up I will eventually do it.

Anyone else interested in the idea?

Yes please!

First prize though would be to sync Stickies to my Notes app on iPhone. But I would pay for an app on iPhone that will sync to Stickies.

skills73

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2009
I got sick of waiting for Apple to allow me to sync my Stickies to iPhone or iPad so I built one.

http://syncstickies.com

so YOUR the scam artist who charges everyone 8 bucks for an app that doesn't work. You don't even answer emails to people who've shelled out money for your app and you give no support. Bad karma to you my friend.

macmend

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2005
UK
there is a script that will do this via dropbox I am sure of it... the problem with stickies if you put its database in drop box and try to do it that way is that every time it updates it deletes the stickies file and rebuilds it.

diemo

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2011
Paris
What's up with syncstickies App?

I'd like to try syncstickies, but it's not available in the App store at this moment. What happens?

bbal325

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2011
Stickies2go

I have been trying to get an app that will do this as well and stumbledupon the app Stickies2go. So far, its been 2 days, it seems to be working fine. However, it would be nice to have it sync to my notes on my iphone, but this will do. The only thing that I dont like so far is that I cant add a stickie note from my iphone. But, so far this is fulfilling my needs

likeabo55

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
I tried opening the file in textedit, and you can see most of the text in clear text, so I guess it wouldn't be that hard to implement - How do we get heard?

I also use Evernote for everything, but I like the "easy to see, low screen real estate"-UI for Stickes as well as the CMD+SHIFT+Y for creating stickes from anything!

The file is located at /Users/<your user>/Library/ and is called "StickiesDatabase". You can access the library by going to finder, the "Go" menu, and holding ALT key down, and you'll see that Library becomes visible.

Does anyone have an idea for a script, automator script or similar?

You could of course just setup a copy job of the file to dropbox - but that would only work properly as a backup, not as sync.

Addition:
This app exists sadly only for Windows, but does exactly what we need. Unfortunatly that developer does not develop for Mac

Last edited:

missleers

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2011
Wow. I Feel DUMB

SO, I bought an IPAD2 this week thinking that I could sync Stickies to it!!!!
Ahhhhhhhhh... Every time I am out and about, I get so frustrated because I use Stickies for just about everything. I even use Post-It Super Sticky sticky notes in real life!!! I am trying to get away from those though because they are expensive (see the irony in this... I spend this much and get no return on my investment.. crap!)!!!! Now, I read, after spending a total of ~ $648.99 ($619 -ipad at aafesonline + $29.00 for the Mac OS X Lion update) that I can not do this!! OMGFML I think I am going to pull at least one strand of my hair out because doing the rest would hurt and I am not Brittney Spears. All apple geeks please laugh at me now..... and help!!!

Please make this app so that pour unfortunate souls like myself can have our stickies and use them too!!! :eek:

evalverd

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2011
Stickies synking

Yes, please, make an application that sinks stickies to iPhone and iPad. It is VITAL!!!! Everybody would pay for it!!! It is quite frustrating not to be able to use that information in our other devises!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thank you!!!;)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Hey guys, the last year or so since posting in this thread, I've been syncing all my notes using the built-in Notes app. Here's how to do it:

- If you go into settings on your iPhone / iPad and choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars you can configure notes to be synced over your email account. I'm doing it over Gmail but you can also do it over iCloud or another email account that supports it.
- Next find your Notes settings and make sure all notes are set-up to be saved to your email account (rather than to merely iPad) and it will sync them all along with your email.

Now if you go into Mail on your Mac and click the notes section in the left-hand drawer, it'll show you all your notes! And you can make edits here or there and they'll be synced, and vice versa.

It's not Stickies but i've actually come to like this more. It's simple to use and I now have almost a hundred notes, which I could never have with stickies. What's really handy is that I forgot a mailing address to send a package, which i'd written down in a note the other day and had neither my iPad or my Mac with me. But I used a friends computer (actually an Apple store :p ) and was able to login to gmail.com and my notes are all there too. So I can access them anywhere I am! :)

prophetizer

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
Hey guys, the last year or so since posting in this thread, I've been syncing all my notes using the built-in Notes app. Here's how to do it:

- If you go into settings on your iPhone / iPad and choose Mail, Contacts, Calendars you can configure notes to be synced over your email account. I'm doing it over Gmail but you can also do it over iCloud or another email account that supports it.
- Next find your Notes settings and make sure all notes are set-up to be saved to your email account (rather than to merely iPad) and it will sync them all along with your email.

Now if you go into Mail on your Mac and click the notes section in the left-hand drawer, it'll show you all your notes! And you can make edits here or there and they'll be synced, and vice versa.

It's not Stickies but i've actually come to like this more. It's simple to use and I now have almost a hundred notes, which I could never have with stickies. What's really handy is that I forgot a mailing address to send a package, which i'd written down in a note the other day and had neither my iPad or my Mac with me. But I used a friends computer (actually an Apple store :p ) and was able to login to gmail.com and my notes are all there too. So I can access them anywhere I am! :)

but, the stickies are something thats on the desktop, so i see it anytime i look at my monitor, which is what i need. i'm an out of sight, out of mind person, so i'll just forget lol

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
but, the stickies are something thats on the desktop, so i see it anytime i look at my monitor, which is what i need. i'm an out of sight, out of mind person, so i'll just forget lol

Are you using Stickies as reminders? I find iCal better for that.

If you're using Stickies to keep notes of things, I think the solution I gave above is a good option. Particularly when you upgrade to Lion... I barely use Stickies on Lion due to the fullscreen apps and multiple desktops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.