App to time shift one channel of a stereo file?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by trpullen, Sep 9, 2010.

1. trpullen macrumors newbie

I edit the podcast for our church every week in Sony SoundForge. This is one of two apps that keeps me running a PC. The way we record it, we take one channel from the mixing board and one channel from an omni mic at the sound board. There is about 60 feet between the stage and the mixing board so I need to add a little delay (.050 seconds) to the channel that is recorded from the mixing board to align them.

So far, I can't find a Mac app that will allow this. Any thoughts?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Can't you move a track over using Garage Band? At worst you can insert .05 seconds of silence at the start if one channels.

Logic express can do this to but you already have Garage Band.

I'd think you'd be able to do the same in Audacity, just inserct 0.05 seconds at the front

You keep a PC just to use the Sony editor???? There are much better editors you can use on the Mac.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You can certainly generate 0.05 seconds of silence in Audacity—it's pretty straightforward.

4. trpullen thread starter macrumors newbie

But IIRC, I could only do it to the stereo pair, not to the Left channel only.

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You can split the track and then join it back together, see below:

Attached Files:

6. trpullen thread starter macrumors newbie

I will be getting Logic Express when I ditch the PC for a 27" i7. I have been playing with editing software on my MBP13" and so far can't do it in Adobe Soundbooth. I played around with Audacity a bit but...frankly, it is not wonderful. I need a precise time as I have calculated the distance at temp and humidity to not get phase shift. I am afraid of "moving one track" for that reason. Plus, I do 9 or so tracks per week.

I will dig a bit deeper into GB and see if it has the capability somewhere I missed.

Thanks for the ideas...keep em coming.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Audacity allows you up to 6 decimal places of precision under 'Generate'->Silence

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Rather then calculating the time delay,why not just look at the waveforms and visually match them up. I think it is actually more accurate. Look for a transient of some kind. Just going by eye you should be able to get to within 0.1 ms which works out to 1.2 inches. If you have a good "click" or "pop" to sync on you can get yo within a few samples and I really doubnt to know the distance between mics to that level of precision

Logic and other editors have a tool where you lick on spots on waveforms and then tell Logic that those spots need to be time aligned. You can even do non-linear warping this why to , say, clean up the timing in some music where a performer got off beat. I've also used ti to duplicate a track then nudge one copy over a few milliseconds to create a kind of chorus effect

9. trpullen thread starter macrumors newbie

Coolness. I played with Audacity tonight. They have done some stuff to that app since I last tried it. I was able to do what I need which is good. I will likely do it in Logic later on but....good to know I can get there. I am really close to pulling the trigger on the i7. Can't wait.

10. deej999 macrumors regular

Really? I rate Sony Soundforge very highly. From my experince Soundtrack Pro, Logic and Audition are not yet as good audio editors as Soundforge on PC. It's one application I wish would come over to the Mac.

For the thread starters requirement Audacity will be fine.

deej

11. trpullen thread starter macrumors newbie

I would even settle for a good Wine port (no pun intended there...sorry) of it. I think it really is top notch. Included plugins are good and it is a super fast and easy way to clean up audio.