App to Track Time of Open Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shumatec, Jan 5, 2009.

1. shumatec macrumors newbie

I'm looking for an application that can track, on a daily basis, what files I had open and for how long they were open. Mostly it's because I'm really bad at tracking my time spent on projects and by the time I get around to logging my time I can't remember what I did last week! Hopefully there's an app out there that can help!

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

3. shumatec thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response. But no, those aren't quite what I'm after. Those solutions require me to set up projects and clients and to manually start and stop a timer. I want something more basic and automatic. All the app needs to do is to see when I have a document open and track the amount of time that document was open, along with the document name and possibly the application that opened it. And it should keep a running log of this separated by day. So if I forget to log my daily tasks for several days, I can look back at the log and see what docs I had open and for how long. I suppose even better would be if it tracked how long those open docs were active vs. idle.

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I remember back in the days of OS 6, there was a program that did that (can't remember the name now, it has been 16 years). But I haven't seen anything like it with OS X.

5. shumatec thread starter macrumors newbie

YES!!! That's just about exactly what I wanted, thanks for the tip!

6. ThinkMattClark macrumors newbie