App to turn off 3G and WiFi

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by island, Jul 15, 2008.

1. island macrumors 6502

island

Does anyone know of a application to turn off WiFi and 3G with the touch of a button without navigating to the settings menu? The 3G signal at some places is bad so I rather have it off and get perfect EDGE service. With WiFi, it would be easy to save battery power that way.

Thanks in advance!

2. trentiles macrumors member

Are you serious? How lazy can one get. It takes a few presses/swipes of the finger to turn both off totaling maybe 5 seconds.

3. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Can't. They are sandboxed. So they can't change any of your other settings.

4. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Yeah, this would have been nice - digging through the menus all the time to turn wifi on and off is annoying, as is changing EQ settings.

But sadly not possible with the SDK as is.

Phazer

5. GratefulMed macrumors newbie

Similar wish

Trentiles -

You underestimate the annoyance described in the original post. To save battery life, one might wish to turn off 3G, bluetooth, location services or other processes yet wish to turn them on when in other situations. The changes may be made multiple times each day. Each item has to be accessed in a different submenu. It is a waste of time to require such effort every time. An app which gives access to all such settings in a single menu and allows customisable profiles similar to the various power settings on a desktop or laptop would really be useful to me - and others as well.

6. Moose408 macrumors newbie

I would also like to see this as well as the ability to turn off all sounds. It irritates me that the hard switch only turns off the ringer and not all sound. So when I go in a meeting I have to go to options, turn everything off, then turn it back on after my meeting.

7. trunksu macrumors 6502

the JB version had this awesome little app called BossPref. it was very simple, u launch it, had switches like this

Edge - On/Off
    Wifi - On/Off
    Bluetooth - On/Off

Apple just needs to make one like that or at least create profiles. it's not a matter of laziness vs convenience. you have to admit, a simple app like that would make it soooo much more convenient before you rush into a movie theater, meeting etc. Also think about how many options the 2.0 version has:

All - On/Off
    Edge - On/Off
    3G - On/Off
    Data Roaming - On/Off
    Location Services - On/Off
    Push - On/Off
    Bluetooth - On/Off
    Fetch - On/Off

8. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

This is what Apple needs to do:

Add these options to the menu for home button double tap shortcuts. Double tap the home button, and a bubble menu pops up, like for iPod controls, that has switches for everything. Perhaps they could even add it as a triple tap? In addition, as other have mentioned, profiles would also be nice. For instance, when connected to a WIFI hotspot, it could toggle off your 3g data chip. Or perhaps it could activate the GPS only when plugged in, such as when connected to your car adapter.

Another idea that I have for activating the switches control panel is holding down on the AT&T logo for a couple seconds. This behavior would be similar to the way you hold to move icons on the home screen. In addition, you could hold down on the batter icon to bring up a battery status page. This would show the full green batter icon meter that you can only view when plugged in. It would also have a toggle for various presets to help save batter life, such as lowering the screen brightness. Apple could, perhaps, even build in a low power mode where the iPhone could only receive notifications of calls, texts, and email. No home screen, just basic functions, which is all I need when its sitting in my pocket all day. If it were only running those core functions, I bet the battery life would be better. Double clicking the power button could bring the iPhone back into normal power mode and be used as a toggle.

Just some ideas! Not sure how practical the power ones are, but the rest could easily work. :D

9. superstrikertwo macrumors 65816

superstrikertwo

My ring switch turns off all sounds...

10. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

If the settings on the iPhone are sandboxed how can third-party apps turn the GPS "Location Services" setting on and off?

If you have location services turned off and a third-party app asks for permission to use your location the app turns the setting back on and leaves it on even if you quit the app???

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

Because the SDK provides direct access to turning the Location Services on and off. The same is not true for 3G and WiFi.

12. Moose408 macrumors newbie

Well it doesn't for me. A lot of the games seem to continue playing music and sounds. Calendar reminders still make a noise. I need to check again but I believe incoming emails did as well.

13. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Incoming emails shouldn't, and I don't think calendar does either.

But your correct that games such as Bejeweled continue even if the switch is set to silent, which is rediculous.

If it's on silent it should be silent unless headphones are plugged in. Period. The OS should enforce that.

Phazer

14. apple. macrumors member

yeah when i had my touch i found it useless, even on an orig iphone.
    but on 3g i would find it really useful.

15. apple. macrumors member

you have amazzzzzzing ideas!

16. metronil macrumors newbie

Sorry if this thread has been answered somewhere else but is there now a solution for power modes that turn on/off 3g and wireless at the touch of a button?

that would be a very useful tool for me.

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Did you read the responses?:confused: It has been answered.:eek:

18. severe macrumors 6502a

There is a solution, if you're ok with Jailbreaking your phone. It's called SBSettings and it's fantastic.

Been the first thing I install for a coupla years now.

SBsettings: How to get, How to use

19. admanimal macrumors 68040

In his defense, he was asking if a solution is now possible. The post you cited was from over 2 years ago. Of course it turns out that nothing has changed since then.

20. rascalrapple macrumors newbie

Turning off WiFi

Is there an app to turn it off? This does make sense, after a period of no activity for the wifi to be disabled. :)