Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
I have a triple monitor setup where I mainly work on two external displays, and the MBP's display is mostly just showing static images of Outlook and Teams all day.

Are there any sort of apps out there that would help prevent image retention on this display? I'm thinking something that would turn the screen black, blurs it, or shows a screen saver when the mouse hasn't been on that screen for awhile, and then "wakes up" when I move my mouse over to that screen again.

For now, I could use the brightness keys on the keyboard to turn it off, or use the slider in the Control Center. I know Shortcuts can set the display brightness to 0% too, but don't think there would be a way to have it done automatically. Curious if there's anything out there that does what I have in mind.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you use clamshell mode? (Close the lid, control the system from external keyboard & mouse/trackpad. Use your externals as you like). When you need to use the internal display, open the lid. Otherwise, leave the lid closed.

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I have a secondary display that I use perhaps 20% of the time. I might turn it off for periods, the rest of the time I symply have it as a separate 'space' or 'desktop', and have enabled 'Displays have separate desktops'. With its background set to black color, it's always active, but looks off because it's totally black. I can drag anything over to it at any time. When the screensaver kicks in, it's displayed on both screens. (Added; I also have 'auto-hide' enabled for the menu bar.)

Last edited:

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.