App to wake mac from sleep?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Hutchy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Hutchy macrumors member

Does anybody know of an app that will wake my mac from sleep using a linksys wrt54gs router, using ethernet and Snow leopard please?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I can't test it where I am now, but I'm almost positive that 'Remote Tap' does this.

3. Hutchy thread starter macrumors member

hmmm looks good but a little pricey!

Think ill give it a shot. Cheers.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If waking the Mac is ALL you need then yeah, there might be something cheaper out there.

But Remote Tap lets you actually totally control your Mac. For what you get, it's worth the price.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Most VNC apps will let you wake-on-ethernet. JaaduVNC lite is one of the free options. Your router may need some configuring, especially if you plan to connect to your mac via the internet.

6. NewRevolution88 macrumors member

Been looking into remote tap and this might be the selling point. Can you wake the mac if it is not connected via ethernet or would that be impossible?

7. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Will "remote tap", or any other iPhone app, also launch iTunes remotely after it wakes up my desktop computer (soon to be iMac).

My media library is on my desktop internal hdd. All of my devices are on my "home network" with "file sharing turned on". If I want to stream iTunes music, movie, pictures etc . . to my iOS device(s): Apple TV, iPhones, iPad . . I have to do the following:

Currently, if I want to play my iTunes library on my Apple TV downstairs, I have to run upstairs to wake up my desktop computer and launch iTunes so my Apple TV can access the media.

I'm looking for an app on my iPhone (or any other simple solution) that can wake up desktop computer and launch iTunes from the comfort of my couch downstairs.

Thanks for any advice

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Looking for the same thing. I use LogMeIn for VPN from my iPhone and iPad but it doesn't wake from sleep unless you are connected via Ethernet. I always use WiFi and currently my MacBook Pro is just always awake.

9. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

It would be awesome if the "remote" app can add this function . .

looking for a way to do this. seems simple enough but I cant find the solution without getting too complex (ie: NAS / RAID server etc....) I just want to sit on my couch and open up iTunes

10. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

For simple wake on LAN I use Sleepover. I find it useful as I can wakeup my mini from outside my LAN as well, over the internet.

11. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Will this let me launch iTunes remotely?

12. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

No, it's a simple WOL app but if iTunes is already running when you put your Mac to sleep, that would work.

13. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

I'll check it out. Pretty easy to set up? Thanks for suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Does this mean it will also wake Mac that is running off WiFi?

15. SeanyLitts macrumors newbie

Is it possible to have my iphone wake my imac via bluetooth when i am within range? Simply walking into my office it would be convenient for my computer to wake by the time i sit down

16. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

No. For WOL your Mac needs to be wired to your LAN. I was just saying I can wake up my Mac when away from home, over 3G and then use another app to access the Mac (iTeleport).

17. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

No. When your Mac is asleep its radios are off. So no Bluetooth.

18. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

That is what I thought, I use LogMeIn and can only access my Mac when it is not asleep.

19. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Wirelessly posted (This odd thing that I hold: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not sure if that's true. Bluetooth keyboards and Bluetooth mice can wake up sleeping macs. My BT keyboard certainly does. If not, BT would be a major pain for keyboards / mice. You'd have to pull out a wired keyboard everytime your mac went to sleep :D

So it should be possible for a BT iphone app to wake your mac as you walk in. Would be nice to have your mac automatically locked whenever you are out.

Personally I'd rather not run BT all the time on my phone. I do leave wifi on though, so I wonder if an i
    phone app could wake my mac via wake-on-LAN when the phone connects to my office wifi ...

I wonder if this could be done an alternate way.