Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nikrem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
In the FAQ it's says this isn't possible, but I have read a few reports of people being successful in doing so.
Has anyone here had experience in trying to transfer an app to another dev account, while still allowing the current users to update the app?
One developer told me as long as we keep the bundled ID the same, we can, but would need Apple's cooperation.
I assume apps get sold a lot and this question would be raised quite a lot, but cannot find much info to support it.

Cheers.

Nikrem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I would figure this is a rare occurrence. But my understanding is that one would need Apple's heavy involvement in order to effect such a change.
Yeah, I was thinking about single developers selling apps, but maybe it doesn't happen as much as I think!

I will continue to hound Apple, but was hoping there may be some success stories for me to take to them, still seems strange that it is such a pain.

Thanks for the reply!

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
The only known examples involves lawyers and corporate acquisitions (e.g. Disney buying Tapulous, etc.)

Other than that, it is impossible to transfer apps. Apple will not cooperate in transferring app IDs to another developers account. You can sell an app's code and IP assets, and then delete it from your account. It's ranking and users will be lost.

Nikrem

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
After extensive calls, this definitely seems to be the case.
They are aware of how inflexible this system is, but still no go.

Thanks for the tips anyhow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.