app transfer / sharing

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LimeJake, Apr 15, 2011.

1. LimeJake macrumors newbie

I was just given an iPad v.1. - it has apps on it that I want to keep, yet when I connect it to my MacBook it wants to eliminate all the apps on it and only sync the apps on my computer.

So...

Is there a way to keep the apps that are already on the iPad and then add the apps that are on my iTunes acct?

Thanks

2. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

If they are apps purchased by another user/owner, then there is nothing you can do.

3. LimeJake thread starter macrumors newbie

they are from another user...

If I get that user's app store log in and password, can I account share into my Itunes?

Thanks

4. laurenr macrumors 6502a

My Husband and I use the same iTunes account and can therefore put apps purchased by either one of us on both our iPhones and iPads.

5. ceefax macrumors member

For some reason I synced my girlfriends phone onto my iTunes and I can access both accounts and can put any app onto my iPad from her phone.

I don't know why this is. Basically when the dialogue box comes up saying erase!!! It doesn't actually erase. I'd back up your stuff...and follow the dialogues. Google the content in the dialogue box first and see if this is still the case. Sorry I'm a bit vague on this, all I know is that I have both accounts on my iPad and that dialogue box was kinda badly written by apple, deceptive anyway.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Assuming you have the other user's ID/password:

1. In iTunes, from the menu, go Store > Authorize computer. Enter ID and password.

2. Connect iPad. Cancel any dialogue boxes that pops up. Right-click on the iPad icon on the left hand column in iTunes. Select "transfer purchases."

That should copy all the apps on the iPad onto your computer, and you should be able to sync normally from now on.

7. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

Apps are licensed to a user, not a device. The apps were licensed to the previous owner of the iPad.

If you do transfer the apps to your computer as described in the thread, you will still need to enter the previous owner's ID and password to get updates to the apps.

8. number84 macrumors 6502

+1 we do this too.