App transfer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by taylor200588, Jul 9, 2008.

1. taylor200588 macrumors regular

taylor200588

im planning on getting the new iPhone 3G when i comes out in white. but in the mean time im sticking with my old iPhone

my question is if i download the new 2.0 software and download some apps for it and i hav to pay for them and stuff will i be able to transfer them to the new iPhone when i get it?!?

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Yep, I'm pretty sure it downloads to your iTunes is stored on your computer to transfer to any new/extra iPhones synced with it.

3. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

it will probably read the sim card that is in the phone to verify it was YOU who bought it, i'd imagine to protect someone from potentially installing one bought app from the store on all his friends computers (it made sense to me)

4. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

If you were to install an application from a friend's iTunes it would sync all of his/her songs until you sync back to yours and then you lose all that was put round your friends.

5. robhedin macrumors regular

The license agreement for Apps available from the App Store allows for publishing the licensed application on all of your devices. This means that the app purchase is not tied to your phone, but to your iTunes account. So yes you should be able to transfer them to your new phone later on.

rob.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Wouldn't Apple not be allowed to do that? And even so, what if you wanted to change your number due to a stalker or whatever?

This is correct. DRM is the best way to go. It's how the January update stayed, so it's how Applications will stay :p.

7. shadyInCA macrumors member

So if I have two Computers logged into the same iTunes Store account, does that mean I can share apps between the two machines?

My wife and I are both getting iPhones, and I was going to setup iTunes on her laptop so she can sync with that, and I can sync with mine, but will that mean we won't be able to share apps?