App Update failed- Stuck in loop

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HexusOdy, Sep 23, 2009.

1. HexusOdy macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I use Sygic GPS software for Europe and this morning I was told there was an update to download. So I go to the app store and start the update while connected to WiFi and it all went as usual.

After a couple of minutes my router reset and I lost WiFi, at which point my iPhone tells me that the update is over 10mb and should only be downloaded over WiFi and that the download will stop. Not a problem I though, I'll do it when WiFi is back.

The problem is the App Store thinks its finished downloading but my phone doesnt. But for the last 6 hours the little circle in the top bar has been constantly going like its trying to download and every time I turn my phone off then on again I get the same message about only downloading the App update over WiFi. And the little spinning circle starts again.

I though if I removed the Sygic app that might fix it, but when I turned my phone back on I now just have a blank grey app icon with "Loading" underneath like its trying to download the update without the app being there.

Apart from it chewing battery I haven't been able to receive calls all day. For some reason I can dial out but not get anything in.

I'd restore on iTunes but that wants me to install 3.1 at the same time and I aint going there!

Any ideas?

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Maybe if you sync the phone, then delete the App in iTunes, then sync again and refuse the iTunes request to transfer the app from the phone, that would work? I have not had this problem so I'm just guessing....

3. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

Try tapping the icon a couple of times with your Wi-Fi on. This has happened to me twice or so.

4. HexusOdy thread starter macrumors newbie

I fixed this problem by getting iTunes to download the update for Sygic then resyncing the app to the iPhone.

I guess once it detected the app was the new version it corrected itself and removed the icon.