App updates have been acting wierd

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by AlphaVictor87, Oct 30, 2012.

1. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

OK so the last few app update notifications I've gotten have been kind of wierd. When I open the app store update page I've seen the page like the attached pictures. the update all button is disabled and the button next to the app only says open not update. I haven't been able to do anything to fix it besides waiting and checking back later. My wife has had this problem recently too.

If anyone else has had the problem and knows what's up that'd be cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

They are already updated...thats why it says to open it instead of installing it.

3. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

No this was moments after getting the notification that there is an update. I guess I don't have any way to prove that though :(

EDIT: next time it happens I guess I can take a picture a few min apart showing it shows this and then later finally let's me update

4. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

you are correct.

ive seen this happen today also.

they are listed with the old version and not ready for download.

5. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Same here. I've noticed that this means that the "true" update for the app is coming. What I typically have to do is use the Fast App switching to shut down the App Store. This forces it to refresh next time I open it and often it clears this issue.

It's almost as if iTunes Connect is releasing an update but the store is stuck on a cache of the last update.

Can't wait for the first update to iOS 6.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Another Yes, I've seen this happen as well reply.
    It's annoying and goes away after a day or so.

7. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

8. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Happened to me about 5 times in the past few days. Definitely seems to be an issue

9. pommie82 macrumors 6502

There is a couple of apps on my iPhone that won't install for some reason i install them and then they don't disappear there still there in updates.

10. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

This has happened to me today. Said there was an update for an app but it wasn't, and the last time this app was updated was back in May.

Edit: I just killed the App Store in the multitasking tray and then re-opened it. An update is now available for the specific app. Seems like a bit of a glitch with the store.

11. Aniseedvan macrumors 6502a

Me too, have to kill the app store and that sorts it out.

12. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Yeah, this is a pretty common bug with the App Store.

13. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

14. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

I don't know what the deal is with it but I've been having this same issue for a little while now (a couple of weeks, maybe longer).

From my experience, it appears to happen shortly before an app is updated, meaning the App Store will show an old update for an app that is about to show up with a new update.

Definitely seems like a bug and is rather annoying.

15. AlphaVictor87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one. However killing the app store doesn't seem to do the trick for me.

Had another app update today and this happened, was about a 30 min difference before i saw the notification and when i was able to actually download. Even after killing the app store everytime i exited it.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, seems like more often than not, or at least sometimes, with the new (since iOS 6) AppStore the update notification gets sent earlier than the actual update is available--so when you check for updates, at times, you will see an app listed but with its current version which you already have (and thus can only open it), and only after some time (sometimes less sometimes more) you will get the actual update if/when you check again.

It's definitely a glitch of some sort, but not too bad--at least you are "notified" of which app has been updated and an update should be coming very soon.

17. Baytriple macrumors 6502

I have been having the same issue. Although I have been having continued unresolved problems with this updates section.

18. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I've had this problem too (yesterday and today).

For me, the updates section in iOS 6 is just a huge step backwards.

It used to be that you could tap the Updates section of the tab bar at the bottom and it would check for updates instantly.

The only way to get that now is to kill the App Store and restart it.

19. surfer17 macrumors member

I've run across this issue too. Was annoying at first. But these days I shrug off to such bugs in hope that iOS 6.0.1 is around the corner and everything will be back to normal.

Kinda like survivors of the Walking Dead in Season 1 & 2..

20. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Here's a new one (I think) from just a few minutes ago:

Left: Launched App Store and it shows an update but the screen is blank (it stayed blank so I closed it out completely)

Right: Re-launched App Store and the update was gone but the screen was still blank

I've since closed it and re-opened it several times and it's remained on that blank screen on the right below...

Attached Files:

21. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Yup same here. Some apps take a why. Bump took about a half hour to finally update. Most apps take 5-10 minutes if they've got issues.

OMG my latest addiction. "Bout to watch episode 3 from Season 3.

22. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I think this might be one of the unintended consequences of having the AppStore support real multitasking. Before iOS 6 the AppStore didn't use multitasking and it refreshed updates when it opened every time, now it doesn't seem to work right.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, even if it supports "multitasking" correctly now, if you go off the updates tab and then return to it it should check for updates whenever that happens, and it doesn't do it. The only way to actually (manually) check for updates now is to always kill the app and start it again.