Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBX

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2006
Why don't the app icons stay in place when they're being updated? Instead the updates are being done on a new space and you have to move the apps back into their previous place.

Really annoying. I hope this is going to be fixed in the next update(s)!?

sgibson

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, this has been annoying me. I find I can't remember exactly where it was before for less frequently used apps and end up with a few hours of vague discomfort with my phone because something isn't quite right. I've started moving the icon whilst it's downloading to a position beside the current one so when it's finished everything sorts itself out.

I have a feeling that it isn't updating as such, more replacing the app and it keeps the old one around until it's finished in case you lose your connection and are stuck with a half downloaded app. This is very sensible, but shouldn't manifest in the UI. Keep the old icon hidden and replace it with the installing icon. If something messes up, unhide the old one again.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2006
I'm sure this will be fixed at some point as it is kind of a pain in the rump.

DevJ

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
How do you rearrange icons?

Sorry im a noob, just got my iphone today :)

nevermind just figured it out!

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
It's because when the App updates, the old version is uninstalled from your iPhone and then reinstalled, just like installing it from the store for the first time.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
I don't really have anything to add to this thread, except to say that this has been happening to me also, and it is indeed a pain in the arse.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
I don't know if that or the slowness of installing updates is worse. I know the iPhone CPU isn't much, but it sure does seem to take a long time to install apps that are no bigger than 0.1MB.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
^^^ Agreed; I find the dispersing of apps after an update, is quite similar to stepping on those Projector Mall Floor Games where everything scatters when you step on it. I feel like I'm in a game of hide-n-seek. I have to flip through at least (7) pages to find my apps that were on page 2...:(

Jowl

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2006
UK
Another, 'it's annoying' post here.

I'm sure they'res a simple fix on it's way in Firmware 2.1. I hope!!

Rigsby

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
I hate you all, you've made me post a 'me too'.

To try and add something new here's my list of complaints about app installations.

1. It ruins your careful arrangement of apps
2. It takes an age, even for the smallest app (3 minutes for PhoneSaber??)
3. Updates are rarely automatically recognised, either through iTunes or the iPhone - even when you can see the new version numbers.

I do hope this is fixed in 2.1 - my anally retentive nature is disturbed when a screen 3 icon (games) appears on screen 1 (communication).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.