Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
So I have updates to "iApps" which required Mavericks to update. Now that I have Mavericks are these updates worthwhile or should I wait? The Apps in question are iMovie, iPhoto, Pages and Keynote. None of these Apps have overall great reviews on the App Store.

Also my iTunes is 11.1.5 and the current is 11.2.1. But I have read that there was a seemingly big issue with the latest version (or one prior) in which the home folder was hidden or something like that. Is it safe to update iTunes now?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
What you can do with the iWorks apps is go ahead and install them and they will coexist beside the old versions you have. Then you try out the new version and see which you like better. When the new versions came out, Apple removed quite a few features and users were unhappy, but Apple has slowly added back most features.

You can safely update iTunes now. The bug with hidden /Users folders was in 11.2 and was fixed in a couple days with the release of 11.2.1.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
What you can do with the iWorks apps is go ahead and install them and they will coexist beside the old versions you have. Then you try out the new version and see which you like better. When the new versions came out, Apple removed quite a few features and users were unhappy, but Apple has slowly added back most features.

You can safely update iTunes now. The bug with hidden /Users folders was in 11.2 and was fixed in a couple days with the release of 11.2.1.

But if I open a document in the new Pages (for example) would I then not be able to open it in the old version?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
But if I open a document in the new Pages (for example) would I then not be able to open it in the old version?

Correct. You could option drag (copy) your current (old version) docs off to another folder to get back to them if this does not work out for you.

Unless you are a fairly advanced user, I think you will find the new iWorks apps do all you need.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Correct. You could option drag (copy) your current (old version) docs off to another folder to get back to them if this does not work out for you.

Unless you are a fairly advanced user, I think you will find the new iWorks apps do all you need.

I a pretty basic user. I never even use Keynote even though I have it. And Pages is the only word document App I use. I don't have or use MS Office. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over some how.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I a pretty basic user. I never even use Keynote even though I have it. And Pages is the only word document App I use. I don't have or use MS Office. I just want to make sure I'm not screwing myself over some how.

Nah... if you decide you don't like the new versions you can just delete them and go back to the old. I am a fairly basic Pages and Numbers user also and they both (new version) meet my needs fine. I think slideshows are the work of the devil so, like you, never user Keynote either. :)

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Nah... if you decide you don't like the new versions you can just delete them and go back to the old. I am a fairly basic Pages and Numbers user also and they both (new version) meet my needs fine. I think slideshows are the work of the devil so, like you, never user Keynote either. :)

Hmm okay. What about the iLife Apps. I've never had to use iMovie but it's just always been there for me whenever I would upgrade my iLife suite in the past. As for iPhotos I use it semi regularly but I'm no photo expert. It's simply what I use to view my photos if or when I take any.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hmm okay. What about the iLife Apps. I've never had to use iMovie but it's just always been there for me whenever I would upgrade my iLife suite in the past. As for iPhotos I use it semi regularly but I'm no photo expert. It's simply what I use to view my photos if or when I take any.

Those I would just update. They did not get the feature downgrade like the iWorks apps did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.