Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I know these exist, which one do you guys use?

Basically an App that gets rid of old app caches and files that exist even when you supposedly "uninstalled" an application.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I know these exist, which one do you guys use?

Basically an App that gets rid of old app caches and files that exist even when you supposedly "uninstalled" an application.
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
AppCleaner was a very good app for me so far. Onyx is another one to clean up unnecessary files. But everything else is in my point of view rubbish. (Mackeeper, CleanMyMac, etc.)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
AppCleaner was a very good app for me so far. Onyx is another one to clean up unnecessary files. But everything else is in my point of view rubbish. (Mackeeper, CleanMyMac, etc.)
AppCleaner is one of the poorest performers. See the links in my post.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
AppCleaner is one of the poorest performers. See the links in my post.
Wow, I didn't know that before. Thanks for the hint. I'll delete my apps the suggested way in the future.

Maybe a bit off-topic but do unused files from removed applications really slow down the system?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wow, I didn't know that before. Thanks for the hint. I'll delete my apps the suggested way in the future.

Maybe a bit off-topic but do unused files from removed applications really slow down the system?
No, they don't. They only consume disk space. Barring hardware issues or a full drive, performance is impacted only by currently running processes.

Nov 28, 2010
located
No, they don't. They only consume disk space. Barring hardware issues or a full drive, performance is impacted only by currently running processes.

But don't forget, that once you just drag application X to the Trash, those PLIST and other supporting files for X will actively search for the application, thus consume valuable CPU and RAM time.
It will only stop if you give them cat on a stick or spinach. I prefer the latter, though the first is okay when does only have access to pea and that other thing we rarely talk about.

Yeah, you read correctly. And don't think I am sarcastic. Me not capable of that.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I've been using Synium's CleanApp for years. It finds files related to the app and lets you choose to delete or not. The latest version's interface is a little more complicated than it needs to be but it still works the same. I preferred the simplicity of the previous versions.

mikecwest

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2013
... but like all such apps, it doesn't find them all. It can leave behind more than it deletes.

That is true, however, it will remove more than just dragging the app into the trash.

A good example is Garage Band that came on a lot of macs. I have no interest in making music, so I deleted it right away by dragging to the trash. Years later, I found a folder in application support that held 3 GBS of music samples for Garage Band.

My next mac, came with Garage Band, I dragged it onto some type of app cleaner (i don't recall which one, maybe appzapper, it saw the GarageBand audio samples and removed them.)

You can easily on a mac accumulate many files that are not needed, after upgrading OS versions, and app versions, there is a lot of trash left behind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.