App won't open without external display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KieranDotW, Jan 10, 2016.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I recently started using an external display with my mid-2012 13" MBP running 10.11.3 Beta. Around the same time, I downloaded GTA Vice City to play on the same device, usually using said display.

Lately I've been wanting to play on the go without my monitor plugged in. However, whenever I open the app I see the icon bounce on the dock as usual but then disappear after a few seconds of bouncing. This only happens when I don't have my display plugged in -- when my monitor's connected, the app opens and runs perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the .dmg to reinstall the app but I appreciate any other suggestions!

Thanks

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

What other screens are you using? Press and hold f3 to show your other desktops.
    Select another desktop, any that exist other than the Desktop will be lined up along the top edge of the screen.

If your f3 doesn't bring up Mission Control (which shows all your open windows and alternate screens that you might have in use.), then you can double-click Mission Control app in your Applications folder.

Best way to see what happens is to Launch GTA V.C., then open Mission Control. You will see immediately if your game is on an alternate screen (very likely), and you can select that screen to bring it to your default desktop.
    How does that work for you?

3. KieranDotW thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the advice. This is all I see before the app inevitably crashes -- an indication of where the window should be, but no actual window.

I might try to download the game again tonight, hopefully I won't lose any progress. In the meantime, do you have any other suggestions?

[​IMG]

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

hmmm...
    How do you have a blank window for the game, when there is no app icon showing in your dock? Does the icon show briefly in the dock, then disappear?

If the game is crashing as you launch it, then there's likely a log for that in your Console.

Does GTA still work for you NOW, when you connect to the external display?
    You could always revert back to the single display while the game is running (simply unplug the video cable)
    What happens to GTA when you try that?
    Or, maybe it won't work on the internal display, if it is a 13-inch, and the game requires a screen space larger than a 13-inch display can provide (1280 x 800). Will GTA even work on a screen that small?