App Zapper/Mac file structure question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AV8TOR, Aug 14, 2010.

1. AV8TOR macrumors regular

AV8TOR

First off I am new to the Mac world and not that savoy with the Mac file system.

Okay so I deleted Google Chrome today using App Zapper by dragging the app into the "Drag Apps Here" and bang it gone, well is it. I typed Google Chrome in Spotlight and there it is. Clicked it and it ran, WTF? Searched it in finder and this is where I get confused because it says it is in the applications folder but it's not when you open the applications folder. I dragged that into Zapper and it was gone. Last week I deleted uTorrent the same way and searched in Spotlight uTorrent and the same thing.

2. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Are you clearing your trash after deleting things you are sure you don't want?

3. AV8TOR thread starter macrumors regular

AV8TOR

I believe so but can't say for sure.

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

In general I'm of the opinion that appzapper and other uninstallers are unreliable and work mostly on a case-to-case basis. Most applications should be fine with just going straight to the trash, and if they're not chances are they will throw files around in such an obscure way that even using uninstallers you won't get all related files deleted.

In this case I'd guess that Spotlight uses an index file to track files and folders that doesn't get updated when applications are removed in a non-standard way.

5. AV8TOR thread starter macrumors regular

AV8TOR

Well it was not the trash problem.

Tonight I deleted Picasa ( I brought it along from my PC days but like iPhoto just fine). Same thing here, deleted Picasa and all of it's subs with AppZapper and now it is no longer in the Applications folder, but the same thing here go to spotlight search Picasa and it is not only there click it and it runs. This is very frustrating because it is obviously taking up space and worse yet I cannot even find the program through the file structure to manually delete. Where is Spotlight finding this? Frustrating that in Spotlight you cannot right click to find more details.

Follow up - I found the extra copy of Picasa in finder under Macintosh HD- Library. Deleted it there and it appears to be gone now.