Appalling Apple Customer Service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nr123*123, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Nr123*123 macrumors 6502

To me it seems Apple customer service is not what it used to be. My recent experiences with my 6S have left me feeling this.

Here's the story:

11 months old and the phone starts turning off at 40%

Phone Apple Support who run through everything

Phone is replaced with a refurbished unit

Replacement phone has the headphone jack coming out, the glass protruding and tinny haptic feedback

Take it back to the store, begrudgingly given another refurbished phone by the store manager

Refurbished phone has the top backlight dying and after only a day the volume up button is sticking.

I would put this down to a coincidence, that both refurbished phones are faulty, but it is obviously not. I had the same issues with my iPhone 5S. So I emailed the designated case handler throughout this, and CCd the executives at Apple in the hope the executive relations team may get in touch.

Nobody at Apple has replied to a single email over the two weeks. When you go the store, it almost seems like a chore for them accept the phone is faulty, even though it is very obvious. I've been very patient, but every time I have to restore the phone.

So where do I go from here? Apple seems to be uninterested after selling the phone.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Contact AppleCare via phone and ask for Customer Relations.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Like you said " Apple customer service is not what it used to be". They have tightened up and are not as liberal with warranty like they used to be.

More scary is the multiple refurb problems seem like they are handing out phones that had problems that never got fixed.

I thank GOD that I have been lucky and never had a problems with any of my iPhones.

4. foxconn Suspended

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm sorry for the frustration you're dealing with.

That said, I just wanted to point out that this underlined part cannot bear any relation to the issue you are having with the 6s, they are entirely different components. Different manufacturers, different process, etc.

Good luck getting a fully functional phone, mine continues to be great so I hope you get there!

6. Nr123*123 thread starter macrumors 6502

There really isn't. I wanted them to repair my phone (which was new from the carrier), but they said this wasn't possible.

I've contact Apple customer care and asked to speak to the manager, he said he'd take my case on, but he hasn't responded to a single email.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 13, 2016 ---
    No for sure they're not the same. What I am attempting to highlight is the poor quality of refurbished phones. In some countries, Apple has been ordered not to provide refurbished phones to customers.

I'm sure people who don't know about tech could live with some of these issues, but it's a £550 phone, so I'm expecting a little more frankly.

7. Nr123*123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any way I can get this resolved? Anybody have a similar experience?

8. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

I have only had to return one item to apple and what I was given was in immaculate condition. Still works and that was several years ago.

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I've never had a poor experience with Apple when it comes to having something replaced. It's always been a quick and easy experience for me. I've also been pretty fortunate with the products I purchase as far as quality goes.

All that said, what you're going through certainly sounds frustrating.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why didn't you notice all these imperfections while you were there replacing the phone in the 1st place?
    If they were obviously that bad you'd see it and say bring me another one. This one has this or that problem.
    After 3-4 replacements and you still can't find the perfect iPhone?
    Sounds like you're one of those customers that cannot be satisfied. You'll probably find something wrong with the next 10 replacements too and try bringing them back.

11. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502a

Ledsteplin

Most people I know who have gotten a refurbished phone have no issues and their service was good. You might try a different Store, even if you have to drive a ways. Or get a refurb via customer service on the phone. Maybe it's the manager of that store doing what he should not.

12. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Seeing your reference to £, I assume you are in the U.K.

All I can say is, based on the handful of warranty claims and out-of-warranty replacements I had over the years, the quality of my refurbished units were nothing but perfect. I am in Canada.

13. Subwaymac macrumors regular

Subwaymac

Reality is when you buy any phone after that 14 day return it's yours no matter what. When you get a refurb your buying a beat up old phone that's probably been in a toilet more than once

14. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

As I said. Call AppleCare and ask for Customer Relations.

15. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

All of the refurbs that I've received(except for 1 time with my 6+) have been perfect. The 6+ worked fine out of the box, but sometime in the afternoon, half of the screen went dim. No big deal. Apple swapped it the next day, no questions asked.

16. itsmilo macrumors 68000

itsmilo

It might be a coincidence but i had to call customer service twice this week and those guys were not as over the top friendly as they used to be. One guy literally told me to read the terms & conditions myself instead of just answering my question. He almost got me to pay 99€ instead of the old 69€ replacement fee because i couldnt find anything to back me up in those billion pages of conditions and went like "well 99€ is still cheaper than paying over 500€ for a replacement right?"

17. Nr123*123 thread starter macrumors 6502

The first time around, I just put it in my pocket (with the plastic cover on) and left. There was no point powering it on, seen as it was on iOS 9 and my restore was on iOS 10.

Second time I did turn it on, immediately noticed the dim screen at the top, but the manager wasn't exactly the friendliest chap in the world and I thought I could live with it....wrong. I should've brought it up straight away I know.

Apple on the whole has been good. I've had great experiences with my Macs and it's one of the reason I have purchased Apple products in the past. But this sort of thing leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

I don't this exists in the UK. I will try tomorrow when Apple support is open but there internet suggests this is a US thing.

My other option is to email someone in California who works in customer relations. They may be able to push this forward.
    I may do this, just get an exchange unit over the phone. Worth a shot. Thanks.
    Yeah the folks over in Ireland have got a tad salty as of late. They tried to deny my warranty claim and charge me for the repairs because it was one day out. Luckily I reported the problem a month earlier.

18. seargent Abu Dhabi macrumors newbie

seargent Abu Dhabi

Apple customer service in Ireland in my experience are liars. Simple as that.

Apple Customer Service in Canada was exceptional.

I have been loyal to Apple since I bought my first Performa 400 in the Early 1990's but after the way I have been treated now no more.

19. DNichter macrumors 603

DNichter

Seems odd, never had any issues with getting a replacement or the replacement itself.

20. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

After replacing a replacement you should have made sure the phone was as close to perfect as possible.